Thread: Tool ID help needed

Tool ID help needed

I'm doing a basement clean out to help a neighbor dispose of her fathers tools and this was hanging on the wall. Curiosity has gotten the better of me on this one. I can find no makers marks. Here it is.

The man had a collection of tools from many trades, blacksmithing/ farrier, Cooper and others. Lots of woodworking tools, timber framing tools specialized leather working tools metal lathe a small shaper. So it really could be anything. Thanks for your help.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

It is a "hook" chisel. First one I saw was used in a shop that made prosthetic limbs. The too was used for hollowing and trimming the inside of the artificial limbs.
    Most of the wood used was basswood.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

So it's used like a scorp?

Yes it is like a scorp, cutting and hollowing on the pull stroke. The handle is pinned on so it doesn't pull off. That is interesting about the prosthetics but this is much longer than would be needed for that. Thanks for the replies so far.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Blog Entries
    Are there any indications of it being sharpened?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes Jim the inside edge of the radius is/was sharpened. I'll try and take a better photo this evening.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service