Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cant decide...glue up panel or plywood?

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I gotta disagree with that statement. If you were making a large dining table you'd use plywood rather than solid wood?
    I must have misread the original post, I could have sworn he said he was making a headboard and never once mentioned it doubling as a tabletop.

Plywood alder does not hold light stains like solid alder (knotty or clear). Plywood alder/knotty alder will stain with a much redder hue because of the plywood glue. Keep that in mind if you plan on lacquering or sealing with a clear poly.

Other than that, I think the overall design would mitigate my approach to using ply or not.
    -Lud

As Peter recommended, I'd use shop sawn veneer over BB plywood. Looks like solid wood, because it is, with none of the drawbacks. And because it's made from the same wood as the rest of the project, it will take stain and finish the same way. I also agree with others that said a panel that large will look incredibly boring. I'd show the client some alternative sketches, if nothing more than to have her recommit to that big panel.

John