Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick of promotions that require social network membership!

Sick of promotions that require social network membership!

I'm really sick of all the promotions I can't take advantage of because they require membership in a social network! American Express has a number of promotions you can only access through one of four social networks. I am NOT going to sign up for a social network, period!

Companies are going to start losing customers like me if they keep offering special deals only for those with social network accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I'm really sick of all the promotions I can't take advantage of because they require membership in a social network! American Express has a number of promotions you can only access through one of four social networks. I am NOT going to sign up for a social network, period!

Companies are going to start losing customers like me if they keep offering special deals only for those with social network accounts.
    Brian, I could not agree more! Don't think they much care what either of us think, though.

That's important feedback you should provide to businesses. It may not change behavior, but at least you'll be on record.

BTW, AMEX has special offers available to all card members right on their website on your card(s) page(s). Just scroll down to where your "latest charges" are shown and click on the tab that says "Amex offers for you". These are generally the same offers available through the social media marketing in my experience and I have taken advantage of some of them!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's important feedback you should provide to businesses. It may not change behavior, but at least you'll be on record.

BTW, AMEX has special offers available to all card members right on their website on your card(s) page(s). Just scroll down to where your "latest charges" are shown and click on the tab that says "Amex offers for you". These are generally the same offers available through the social media marketing in my experience and I have taken advantage of some of them!
    I have a Wells Fargo American Express. They have a link from their web site to an American Express web page listing the promotions. There is no option on that page except the four social network options. None of them work if you are not a member of the social network that I could figure out. I'll have to check out the regular American Express website.

I've considered THIS SITE my social network..................mayhaps I need to get out more??

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

If anyone sends me a promotional offer that requires facebook or anything else similar, I always figure that "well, they saved me money by convincing me to not purchase today".

I've been trying to do that more in general lately. If I didn't want something at $40, do I really want it at $30? Probably not. I just think that I'm somehow saving $10 when I react to the ad, vs spending $30 (which is what's really happening) for something I didn't want that badly at $40.

The social networking offers just help me realize that I don't even need to think that in a case like above, I'm better off having $30 in my pocket.

Since my Amex card is through Wells Fargo apparently you have to go through a social network to access Amex Offers. Only people with real Amex cards can access the offers through the Amex website.

"Any valid American Express Card issued by a licensed third-party financial institution is eligible for Amex Offers through participating social channels."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    Brian, I could not agree more! Don't think they much care what either of us think, though.
    I'm with you but, I will go the extra mile and send an email telling them why I am not taking advantage of their offers. As Jim points out, you gotta let 'em know, they can decide to listen or not.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm with Bruce, I have said before that the Creek is my social network, but for slightly different reasons.

Anyone can already find out more about us than I care to know about myself. I googled my address the other day, that led me to sites that told me what I paid, what it's worth, taxes, etc, and they didn't even need my name.

No, my reason for not facebooking , twitting, or whatever, is that it is a big time suck. I have better things to do in the time remaining to me.

Getting old..........nap time.

Rick P

LOL!
    Dude, you and I are very similar w/respects to how we use credit cards (and how we make a lot of money off of them).

Did it ever occur to you that we're the type of customer they don't want anyhow?
    Think about it...
    They don't make much if anything on us anyhow. IIRC don't they refer to us as "deadbeats"?
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Blog Entries
    I have come close to closing my Facebook account.

The only reason I don't is because some of our kids use it and post pictures of our grandchildren.

It seems Facebook is going to compete with Google on making advertising more intrusive into the lives of people:

(Note: this link is to an article at NY Times. If you limit your reading of the Times like me, only 10 freebees a month, you may want to try Google or Bing to find another news source.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/29/bu...data.html?_r=0

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'm with you but, I will go the extra mile and send an email telling them why I am not taking advantage of their offers. As Jim points out, you gotta let 'em know, they can decide to listen or not.
    I agree, and have done that several times.

Since my Amex card is through Wells Fargo apparently you have to go through a social network to access Amex Offers. Only people with real Amex cards can access the offers through the Amex website.

"Any valid American Express Card issued by a licensed third-party financial institution is eligible for Amex Offers through participating social channels."
    Interesting...can I assume you are referring to the AMEX Bluebird checking/debit card setup with Wells Fargo? I never had heard of any relationship between the two institutions previous to your comments and had to Google it. (And I have relationships with both...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My life is boring so there's no need to make other suffer through a diary outlining the daily grind.

Interesting...can I assume you are referring to the AMEX Bluebird checking/debit card setup with Wells Fargo? I never had heard of any relationship between the two institutions previous to your comments and had to Google it. (And I have relationships with both...)
    No, standard American Express card. American Express has allowed other banks to offer American Express cards for a number of years now.