Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tip O' the Day from the Village Idiot........drill press

Tip O' the Day from the Village Idiot........drill press

I got out this pic for another thread, and didn't want to waste it.

When you are drilling lots of holes at the same level, and don't want to adjust the table to that level, and you get tired of revolving the quill handle a couple turns for each hole........

use a simple clamp on the stop rod to keep the drill from going back up too much. Of course, if you want to be more elegant...get another stop nut and keep it on the bottom side.

P9220003.jpg

Rick P

squeeze clamp doesnt slip? Good fix, I guess small c clamp would be cheap insurance.

Hasn't slipped yet. 1" Pony clamp...USA. Rubber conforms to the threads, been using it a year or so. Like I said, another nut below the stop would be the ideal. It's been on my list for several years.

Indeed we put a nut under the lug on this old Buffalo.

yep nut under and a quick depth made from with a shaft collar and a 1/4 20 lock handle all off the shelf at the big box store.

jack
    English machines

Rick, i noticed that on the other thread and meant to comment. Nice. And Jack--that is an elegant looking device, suitable for use by a Gentleman!!

Thanks to both of you. (no disrespect Pat, but i already use a nut!!)

earl

Jack has shown us a lot of beautiful machines that show me how lazy I have gotten in my dotage.

RP

Jack: What's the purpose of having two stops above the casting? I understand one below and one above, but I don't quite get the advantage of the extra one above.

Tks
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Maybe I missed something in Rick's original post but why wouldn't you want to adjust the table? Seems like that would solve a lot of set-up issues. Sort of like going around your elbow to get to your ankle.

Just my 2 cents.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

You lose your set up if you change table ht.

Drill press tables don't only move up and down, but they can swing around the column so having to recenter your bit is a bit of a pain every time you adjust the height. I like to "set it and forget it" if possible but it isn't always possible.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    Jack: What's the purpose of having two stops above the casting? I understand one below and one above, but I don't quite get the advantage of the extra one above.

Tks
    Grant the quick stop collar is good for 90% of the set ups in the shop but if you don't want it to move/slide for bit that take more presure to bottom you bring the top nut down on top of it to lock the position. The other thing that is great is sometimes you just want to go a little deeper and all you do it back off the top nut the added depth and move the collar.
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 09-30-2014 at 1:07 PM.
    jack
    English machines

My Powermatic came with a bottom stop. works great.

Joe,

Like the other guys said..but in my case I have two additional reasons.

1. My DP has a six inch throw, so I really don't need to hardly ever move the table.

2. My table raising handle is blocked by the secondary table I built. I figured I could always extend the rod, but have never needed to. It just takes two wing nuts to remove the secondary table. I think I have only done it once, so extending the handle rod is WAAAY down on my list.

Rick P