Thread: Rockler Remote DC Control.....anyone experience this problem??

Rockler Remote DC Control.....anyone experience this problem??

Hi All

I've been running my Delta 1.5HP DC via Rockler's remote control for years. It is rated up to 1.5HP Today I learned that the set up was compromised. I run a thien baffle and noticed that the plastic lower bag had accumulated shavings (about 1/2 a bag full) which I should have noticed earlier and cleaned out the trash can which was stuffed.

I went to unplug the DC from the remote control unit and found I couldn't. I unplugged the remote from the wall outlet and used a screwdriver to separate them. That is when I saw the plastic on the plug from the DC looking like it had experienced some real heat. One of the prongs had what looked like broken solder indicating that the prong and the outlet fused together somehow.

I checked the wiring in the DC and nothing looks burnt up, but I plan on replacing the outlet. Not sure what happened or how long the condition existed but I'm sure glad I didn't experience a fire.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?? I love the remote, but am leary about another Rockler. Would the Long Ranger be a good upgrade? Amazon has it for $65 but I can't figure out if that includes a remote which is $20

Thouhts??

Thank you

George

I don't have the controller but I'm always leery of ratings on stuff like that. HP is a bad way to spec electrical requirements as motor efficiency can be all over the map. In general, I look at the rated current rather than HP. An efficient 1.5 HP motor could pull 10 Amps but a really inefficient one could pull close to double that. What does your dust collector motor say? By the way, the rockler site says 20Amp. I like to have a 25% cushion on electrical specs. It's cheap insurance.

Anyway, another problem that can come about is if your plug and or socket has some wear or isn't fully plugged in - ie not making full contact. The area of metal to metal contact determines the rated amount of current. If there is less contact area, there will resistive heating which sounds a bit like your problem.

Hi Phil,

Its the Delta 50-760. Motor says 15Amp, manual recommends a 20A circuit which is what its plugged into. The DC plug was fully inserted into the remote's outlet. At one point i thought there was a lock I had forget about. The plastic in between the prongs melted and glued itself to the plastic outlet of the remote box so it definately heated up.

I replaced the plug with a heavy duty piece and she runs again.

Thanks

George

Blog Entries
    I have run that remote for a decade or more without issue BUT, the collector I use it on is rated at only 10 amps. 15 amps is the maximum for that remote so running it at that long term may be beyond the design.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've ran the Harbor Freight 2hp dust collector on the Rockler remote now for about 5 years, never had a problem. Not sure what the motor amperage is.

I had an older Rockler remote, believe it was rated at 15 amp. Didn't have any problem with the HF "2 hp" DC unit. Remote switch got fried in a power surge last December, along with several other items. Replaced it with a Long Ranger, rated at 20 amp. Best part of the Long Ranger is the range of the RF (?) signal--and it doesn't need to be pointed at the receiver. Within at least 30' no matter what direction i'm facing, the switch works when i hit the button. With the Rockler i had to point the remote at the switch. Not a huge deal when i had to do it, but it's really convenient when i don't have to turn around and stretch out an arm!!
    earl