Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: general finishes high performance poly

general finishes high performance poly

Having trouble with tons of bubbles with target coatings super clear poly. I am thinking about getting some general finishes high performance poly to try out. Anyone have any experience with this product. Will be spraying with fuji mini mite 3. Does it stay clear? I am top coating a white built-in so I don't want it to yellow at all. Please help!

Have you contacted Target with your questions? They have good technical support. Go to their web site and get their phone number.
    Howie.........

"Bubbles" with a water borne finish very often are an indication of contamination.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am pretty sure it is user error! I have no problem with the em6500 or the em1000 sealer. It is just the poly. These are cell phone pics but hopefully you can see what is happening.

Thanks

ForumRunner_20140930_122214.jpg

ForumRunner_20140930_122226.jpg

ForumRunner_20140930_122242.jpg

No help on the TC product David, but I can give you a two thumbs up on GF's HP Poly. I've sprayed gallons and brushed several quartz of it over the past 5 years. It flows out beautifully, is absolutely water clear, and stays that way for a very long time because of the UV stabilizer package it has. It is very hard and abrasion resistent, too, but it's chemical resistant is not as high as EnduroVar or Enduro Clear Poly. Enduro Clear Poly also has an excellent UV package, and you might consider that product instead if chemical durability is a high priority. The Clear Poly can only be applied by spray. Of the two, the HP Poly is easier to spray with my gravity feed HVLP conversion gun, after I thin it 10% the water. A call to General Finishes might be a good idea to see which they recommend.

John

Big thumbs up on GF Enduro Poly. I've sprayed many gallons over both stained and painted surfaces. It's gin-clear, won't yellow over time, is very durable, and sprays beautifully. Sand in 30 mins, sooner in warm weather.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I had that issue pictured awhile back with a container of EM6000's predecessor...it was a bad can of finish that had contamination from something in it. They replaced it and the issue went away. Water borne finishes are somewhat sensitive to stuff and when you add polyurethane into the mix (which doesn't even like to stick to itself...) it doesn't take much to have an issue.
    --

Jim, just so you are aware, some products labeled as poly don't really contain much. GF's HP Poly is one such example. It contains far more acrylic than poly, yet they label it poly. Why is a mystery to me. Anyway, it sticks really well to many things including well cured OB stain and even waxy shellac.

John

I definitely think the poly was bad somehow. The next day it had turned yellow. I sanded it with some 220 and resprayed two coats of the em6500. Let dry for two hours or more then went to sand it before a final coat. It started to peel. I mean really peel. I pulled off the bench top in one big sheet. I'm not sure if it was the em6500 pulling off the poly or if the em6500 caused the poly to lose adhesion. I do know that once I pulled everything off I didn't see any little bubbles that were there before. Leads to believe the poly just failed. Anyway, sanded the whole thing back to bare wood, 2 coats zinsser 123, two coats of em6500 and two extra late nights and I'm done! Now just got to get it installed. Throwing away the rest of the target poly and will order some GF HP poly to try.

Thanks

I'm a big time advocate for GF in general. Their HP Poly is excellent, especially when sprayed.

The HP will stay clear, whereas their Enduro Var has a very slight tint in order to more closely match traditional Varnishes.

I have used both, although I have used HP far more often than the Enduro.

Give GF a call, they have very good customer service. I talked to them several times when I started using their stuff.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Jim, just so you are aware, some products labeled as poly don't really contain much. GF's HP Poly is one such example. It contains far more acrylic than poly, yet they label it poly. Why is a mystery to me. Anyway, it sticks really well to many things including well cured OB stain and even waxy shellac.

John
    Yup...many water borne products that have "poly" in the name don't utilize much of that resin. I actually don't find it to be a mystery so much...it's marketing. With all the box stores pretty much only carrying products that are labeled "poly" or "polyurethane", the water borne folks need to compete with that "consumer expectation" while still leveraging the qualities and properties of their water borne acrylic finishes. Polyurethane becomes an additive in the water borne finish, rather than being a base ingredient like it is with oil-based products that utilize that resin. I don't find that of much value, personally, nor do I like "poly" for projects other than floors. Of course, that's very subjective...
    --

Got the project all finished and installed. Just got to order some coat hooks. First time building a drawer and drawer front and using Blum under mount slides. Really like the slides. Wish I would have gotten under mounts on all my kitchen drawers! The drawer is 42 inches wide and made with 1/2 ply. Was worries about it racking but it seems to be just fine. Will be uses to store blankets so weight shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for everyone's help. Here are some pics.

ForumRunner_20141005_232328.jpg

ForumRunner_20141005_232337.jpg

Good to hear Dave. How did you like using the GF HP Poly?

John

John - I didn't end up using it on this project. The em6500 is topcoat rated so I just went with only it. I am slowly respraying my white kitchen cabinets and will definitely use it on those since they see the most use. This project is a bench by the front door that we rarely use. But the wife gets what the wife wants!! Thanks again for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by David Huston View Post
    John - I didn't end up using it on this project. The em6500 is topcoat rated so I just went with only it. I am slowly respraying my white kitchen cabinets and will definitely use it on those since they see the most use. This project is a bench by the front door that we rarely use. But the wife gets what the wife wants!! Thanks again for all the help.
    David, when you say you "will definitely use it" on your kitchen cabinets, do you mean GF's HP Poly? If so, I recommend you use GF's Enduro Clear Poly instead as it has much better chemical resistance. Still water clear and with an excellent UV package, but much better chem. resistance; KCMA rated, too. Or just use Enduro White Poly and be done with it.

John