Thread: Surgical chisel turned kerfing chisel. Love it!

Blog Entries

Surgical chisel turned kerfing chisel. Love it!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI have used card scrapers to finish the kerf on half-blind dovetails; then I saw Derek Cohen's shop-made kerfing chisel and loved the idea. I had seen surgical chisels before (used for chiseling bones- ouch) and remembered they are rather thin, so I figured that was a good start. I went on eBay and bought a really good one 1.25" wide, with a hefty handle cast as part of the chisel. It is HEAVY! It's also thin as I had hoped, and stainless too!

I used a WorkSharp 2000 with 80 grit to get it to proper thickness. I am posting a bit soon, as it still needs finish sanding, but it worked beautiful. I took it down to 1/32" and stopped there to try it out. I hammered it into some end-grain pine and it made a perfect kerf. Heck, who needs a saw? You can almost just hammer the whole thing with this. (I kid- probably not a good idea.) Final sanding will thin it a bit more.

I still need to grind a bit off the business end to ensure it is flat. I will dress the face to 2000 grit or so as well; perhaps polish it. The pics with hardwood floors as backdrop are the before. The pic with maple table as background are after. The pic of the kerf is where I just hammered it into some wood, sans saw kerf, and it made a perfect kerf.

Regards from a dimly lit room that smells of metal shavings,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brilliant Malcolm.

Just a word of caution - I always place a clamp across the tail board when hammering in the kerf chisel. This guards against splitting in some woods. Also I do not hammer in the full width of the kerf, but take it about 1/4" at a time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thanks Derek,
    I saw your tutorial and will keep in mind to clamp the wood. I owe you for the suggestion in the tutorial to make the business end flat. I would otherwise have sharpened it to a point, but you are right that it is better to be flat so it doesn't wedge.
    Cheers,
    Malcolm

The purpose of this is to provide a guide for starting/placement of your rip saw on pins and tenons?
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    The purpose of this is to provide a guide for starting/placement of your rip saw on pins and tenons?
    My recollection is Derek posted about using a similar tool for making kerfs on half blind dovetails instead of a saw.

His kerf chisel is in the third post of this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...inds-revisited

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I do not know about ALL surgical chisels,but I bought one that was quite soft. The doctor said they like them soft so they will heave a ragged cut on bone,which promotes healing better than a smooth cut.

Oh, thanks. I would be pretty much certain to split the board - I'll stick with chopping and carving.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I do not know about ALL surgical chisels,but I bought one that was quite soft. The doctor said they like them soft so they will heave a ragged cut on bone,which promotes healing better than a smooth cut.
    Surgical chisels and straight razors are both soft. But soft in this case is probably a good thing.

But,mine was too soft to hold an edge

Yes, they're too soft to hold an edge. I thought they were specified in the high 40s or 50 hardness, but they look nice when they're new!

There was a rash of excitement about surgical razors (wapienica or something) starting about 6 or 7 years ago, I think mostly because they were cheap (eastern europe origin) and people don't know much about things like that so they are a novelty. They quickly went from $5 to $60, and they were soft, with ugly steel scales (so that they could be autoclaved) and often not straight or hard all the way through.

I don't know where that excitement is at this point.

I'll admit that I only knew about surgical chisels because someone had a whole set of new surgical chisels with nice bevel edges on ebay once for cheap and I thought about buying them until I read up on them. they looked really nice. Wouldn't be very inviting to use in a cold shop, though, even if they were hard enough.

(i was smart enough to not buy the razors!!)

Given all of that, I think ground at 90 degrees to use as a kerfing chisel, the medical chisels would be fine. I've always sawn those dovetails and then worked the chisel down from the mark on the diagonal, though (pares easily). Tried a card scraper a few times, but it seems like an even proposition, and most of what they remove is hidden, anyway.

Blog Entries
    I appear to have gotten the hard version. It took forever to grind with 80 grit at 2000 RPM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    It is to finish the kerf on half-blind dovetails. You saw first at an angle, as normal, then chisel the kerf flat. This way paring out the waste is a snap. The kerf in the image in the original post above was a test just using the chisel alone to make the kerf- just to see how well it did. I was amazed. If doing an actual piece I would clamp it to be sure it didn't split, but the test went way better than expected. That was one very light tap with a 19oz round mallet and it sank in like a hot knife in butter.

I was afraid the blade would either be flexy or would crack, but this thing is solid. I think you have to get a good chisel to start. I spent $40 on this one; a bit pricey, but the quality is very apparent, and the steel is very hard.

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about the steel ... I'd be worried about the wood.

I used to sharpen a plastic surgeon's nose chisels years ago. They were hard. The bone chisel I got from Ebay was soft.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I used to sharpen a plastic surgeon's nose chisels years ago. They were hard. The bone chisel I got from Ebay was soft.
    When I first read this, I thought you were saying it was a plastic chisel!