Thread: A little gloat: Bought an old plane

A little gloat: Bought an old plane

I went to Habitat For Humanity's Restore in Aurora, IL to paw at a Bailey #6 Type 11 that I saw a couple of weeks ago. For $30 it has a cracked knob and is corrugated, where I'd like to get a smooth one. I figured I'd leave it there for the next guy and find one online.

Next to it though, for some dollars less:

604.jpg

It should clean up nice.

The #6 is still there for anyone in the neighborhood.

Well, after all, it is smaller, and apparently Fred Flintstone owned it originally - that Bedrock thing on the lever cap.

Feeling a breeze from the East, as air flows into a vacuum somewhere around the southwestern tip of Lake Michigan....

Blog Entries
    Nice find.

My preference is also for flat, but if all that is around is a corrugated sole...

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jude,

You did well! Congrats!

Stew

A friend has a set of Stanley Type 11 smooth soles #2-#8 plus #4 1/2 and #5 1/2 w/ 2 1/4" iron. Nice set, and he uses some of them too.

Now see... I prefer corrugated soles. I'm not sure why, I just do.

Maybe it's because they push sooo much easier, just like Stanley advertised...LOL
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Yeah...whatever...you suck.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Yeah...whatever...you suck.
    Hey...wait...you're new. You might not know that a good, hearty "you suck" is a serious (and manly) pat-on-the-back.

Personally speaking, I get somewhat offended if I post a gloat and DON'T get told that!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Thanks guys. Harold, I've been reading the site for a while and it took a lot of goes to sign up for some reason. I knew what to expect.

I've been to quite a few garage sales, thrift stores and the like and have never seen any decent old tool. Just junk from the 80s. At Restore I have picked up some decent saws. I nearly fell over when I saw an intact plane, let alone a 604.

The rear tote has a break in it, but it did not shear completely off. So, I've just put some glue in the joint and have it clamped up. I'm sure the fixing up I give to old tools would give conniptions to collectors but I am more concerned with smoothing wood.

Blog Entries
    The rear tote has a break in it, but it did not shear completely off. So, I've just put some glue in the joint and have it clamped up. I'm sure the fixing up I give to old tools would give conniptions to collectors but I am more concerned with smoothing wood.
    Same treatment my broken totes receive.

Collectors can be a doubled edged sword. At least they keep some of the old tools from rusting away. Most of the time they are seeking mint or near mint condition tools. Most of my tools do not come anywhere near that. Just like so many collectable fads, maybe someday tool collecting will lose favor. Then there will be a new supply of fine hand tools for us users.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like the round side Bedrock. It is subtle. People don't see it as a Bedrock but underneath that curve is all frog.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Feeling a breeze from the East, as air flows into a vacuum somewhere around the southwestern tip of Lake Michigan....
    Is it the Butterfly effect,
    or is it our Galoot nature, abhoring the vacuum?

There's only one explanation for why
    a plane of this age and quality is still in
    this excellent condition.

It's cursed.

Send it to me for the proper incantation
    and storage to prevent apocalypse.

* yinz suk *