Thread: Newly Acquired tool chest and Antique tools. New to forum.

Newly Acquired tool chest and Antique tools. New to forum.

To start off I will introduce myself, I'm Nick, a 20 year old college student with a passion for woodworking, vehicle restoration and modification and all other tinkering hobbies. I started woodworking in highschool about 5 or 6 years ago but was mainly focused on wood turning. I mainly made bottle stoppers, pens, and bowls. Here is a bowl I made that won some awards at a local woodworking show. It is Box Ellder Burl that I harvested myself from a tree in Ringgold, Georgia after a tornado passed through the town, It is has crushed turquoise in the voids and finished with polyurethane. The others are spalted walnut with a copper wire around the rim, and a small maple bowl and bowl made of a mexican hardwood called jobillo I believe.

The real reason for me posting is that I am getting into fine woodworking using traditional hand tools for 90% of the work. I will be making small pieces of furniture, mainly end tables and maybe some coffee tables, using slab wood with live edges. I recently acquired a tool chest full of antique tools after a relative passed away. From what I can gather the tool chest itself is well over a hundred years old. I am currently studying abroad in australia so these are the only pictures I have of the tools and the tool chest but I thought yall would appreciate them. Inside are a few Disston handsaws, im assuming one rip and one crosscut. A couple Disston Keyhole saws, marking gauge, squares, chisels, and other small tools. Can anybody tell me what tool is pictured with the keyhole saws? I'm at a loss on what its purpose is

I plan on restoring the handsaws and spokeshave. as well as get some of the chisels back in working order. I still need to find a few bench planes and a good dovetail and tenon saw to get started.
    Last edited by Nick Prutsman; 09-30-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Nick,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't list your location. Not sure if it is Georgia, but I'll likely forget that in a few months.

If you are inquiring about the handle with a spring attachment, it looks more like a part of a bigger piece than a tool onto its own.

Back then a spring on a handle may have been to keep it engaged or disengaged with something it was moving or holding.

The broken horn on the Disston saw is worth replacing. A saw is a lot easier to control with the horns. Couldn't see the medallion clearly enough to notice if it has a patent date on it or not.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

if this helps at all for identifying the handsaws it would be great. Also any tips on the restoration of the saws would be great. Any additional tools somebody can identify, mainly the spokes have would be great.

Blog Entries
    Nick, wellcome to the forum! You seem very talented and practical oriented (that's a good thing!) beware there is a tendency to take off with tools and practicality for a while especially when your part of this fantastic forum! leaving natural edges on furniture is one of my favorite things, never had the joy of working with a slab, I look forward to seeing your work. Sorry I cannot help with the tools

Blog Entries
    The medallion is an Atkins. So I may have been wrong about the saw being a Disston. The handle looks more like a Disston handle and it looked to have a keystone in the medallion.

There is a patent date, Dec. 27, 1887, often referred to 'Grover's patent' for a new design of saw nut. If this is the original medallion it dates the saw to around the turn of the 19th to 20th century.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)