Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want a saw for a young girl

Well I am late to the gathering. Chasing the hour hand around the clock but never catching it. I will look in the shop to see what is lurking in the drawers and the blank box. I think I have a child size dovetail in the shop. Red oak, if I am not mistaken. I sometimes make a prototype or have a saw tote with a defect that can be repaired but not sold. So no loss if it gets broken etc. I have no doubt there is more than one defective tote in that box. Either way, no guarantees. I'll have to check. How much of a hurry are you in? I have to be away from the shop a day or so and it is pouring rain at the moment.
    Lastly, I applaud you for trying to teach your little girls woodworking. There is just not enough of that these days. I do have one requirement....... I will need a shipping address. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Fitzpatrick View Post
    Hmmm....I have hands the size of most 9-year-olds, and I gotta say, sawing is more comfortable for long stretches with a handle that fits my small hands (2.75 in width). That said, is your daughter dovetailing for hours on end? Because unless I have a time-consuming project, it doesn't make _that_ much difference.
    For sure she is not doing this for hours on end.... I am preparing for step one..... cut to the line. Last time we tried it, my saws were a bit much for her to handle, but she is stronger and older now so I figured that I would acquire some things to increase the odds of her success. So, I am not looking for perfect, just something that is a bit better than the large handles I have on my nicer saws; for example, Lie Nielsen replaced the handle on my dovetail saw since the standard size was just small enough that it dug into my hand. That said, you are probably correct.

As a side note, if you are who I think that you are..... I admire your work and I really enjoyed one of your talks at WIA a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Well I am late to the gathering. Chasing the hour hand around the clock but never catching it.
    I often feel that way!

I think I have a child size dovetail in the shop. Red oak, if I am not mistaken. I sometimes make a prototype or have a saw tote with a defect that can be repaired but not sold. So no loss if it gets broken etc. I have no doubt there is more than one defective tote in that box. Either way, no guarantees. I'll have to check. How much of a hurry are you in?
    If you have something, that would be great. If not, I totally understand. As for my "hurry", well, as busy as I am, I am never at a loss for something to do. So, I could have her sawing next month or in three based on when I get what is required and how long it takes us to rehab what ever we get that we need to rehab. The girls loved it when I rehabbed two porch benches for neighbors. They could not run the angle grinder, but they could use wire brushes, paint, and help assemble. To date they have not been real happy about helping to sand, something about the sound.

Lastly, I applaud you for trying to teach your little girls woodworking. There is just not enough of that these days. I do have one requirement....... I will need a shipping address. Take care.
    Some years back I was working as a part time apartment night manager. When things broke after hours, I would often just fix things myself and if I could not, I would have the maintenance man show me how to do it (I was in school at the time so I was sometimes around during regular business hours). These two college guys needed to tighten the bolts on their toilette tank so I handed them a screw driver. They did not know how to use a screw driver. I won't force my girls to be wood workers, but, I want them to have sufficient exposure that they can use a screw driver effectively. At this age, almost anything can be fun when they can do it with daddy.

Blog Entries
    For sure she is not doing this for hours on end.... I am preparing for step one..... cut to the line.
    Practicing sawing to the line reaped a tub full of blocks to use as clamp pads. Did the marking and cutting of a couple dozen out of some scrap pine. Easy to see quick by looking for the line after the cut. Also helps to train the eye looking for square.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Practicing sawing to the line reaped a tub full of blocks to use as clamp pads. Did the marking and cutting of a couple dozen out of some scrap pine. Easy to see quick by looking for the line after the cut. Also helps to train the eye looking for square.

jtk
    In principal it seems to easy, but, it seems like my body is not inherently wired to do it. I have been working / struggling with this for a couple of years and only now do I seem to do it without significant thought, effort, and regularity. It has been nice. I am creating a box with about 7 pins and, although not perfect in appearance, the fit is mostly reasonable and requires very little paring to make it work. Picked up a bunch of tricks here though... and I learn from everyone I can. Yep, not too proud to drop in to that really easy beginners lecture since I often learn one or two things.

Nice little 16" on ebay right now, with a smallish handle. I think a 12 pt.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post

As a side note, if you are who I think that you are..... I admire your work and I really enjoyed one of your talks at WIA a few years back.
    Yes., I am Charlize Theron. If only ;-)
    I don't know who you think I am... but I was at WIA a few years back (and every year); thank you for the kind words :-)

Hey Megan, did you ever get to use the Medallion Toolworks backsaws that Roy Underhill has that were sized for small hands?
    Just curious.

Hmmm....I have hands the size of most 9-year-olds, and I gotta say, sawing is more comfortable for long stretches with a handle that fits my small hands (2.75 in width). That said, is your daughter dovetailing for hours on end? Because unless I have a time-consuming project, it doesn't make _that_ much difference.

She's from my neck of the woods (to be precise, she's from the red-neck area) and years ago I had the privilege to collect her from her Mother's house and transport her to a movie junket.

Anyway back on topic, Andrew if that good man Ron Bontz doesn't have anything for you, speak to Joshua Clark as he may have something in stock that is suitable.

BzKM1CXCUAAiGk7.jpg
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I don't know who you think I am... but I was at WIA a few years back (and every year); thank you for the kind words :-)
    I already have one very fine lady in my life who does not have tool skills so pretty sure I would rather hang with you than Charlize Theron.

I have hope that at least one of my daughters will develop some skills in that area as well. Can't say that I married my wife because of her skills with tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Anyway back on topic, Andrew if that good man Ron Bontz doesn't have anything for you, speak to Joshua Clark as he may have something in stock that is suitable.
    Turns out that Mr. Bontz had something very nice that fits my daughter's hands very well.... and I will have a post highlighting this in the next few weeks (since I need to NOT generate sawdust for the next few days and I need to provide some technical support at a conference, which will take a few days of my time out of the shop).

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    I recommend not sawing the young girl. While young girls are a delight, cutting them in half does not produce two even younger girls- it just makes a mess and will probably spoil their whole afternoon.
    If she is willing to do the laundry, I think 2 saws is a fair trade - don't go too cheap: "I want 2 saws for a young girl" is a better starting place.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Huh – I don't think I have. Every time I've been down to Roy's recently, it's been to help teach a class – so I use whatever tool the student has in his or her hand, usually from his or her own kit. But I'll make a point of trying one out next time I'm there!