Thread: New to Forum, previous projects + future plans.

New to Forum, previous projects + future plans.

To start off I will introduce myself, I'm Nick, a 20 year old college student with a passion for woodworking, vehicle restoration and modification and all other tinkering hobbies. I started woodworking in highschool about 5 or 6 years ago but was mainly focused on wood turning. I mainly made bottle stoppers, pens, and bowls. Here is a bowl I made that won some awards at a local woodworking show. It is Box Ellder Burl that I harvested myself from a tree in Ringgold, Georgia after a tornado passed through the town, It is has crushed turquoise in the voids and finished with polyurethane. The others are spalted walnut with a copper wire around the rim, and a small maple bowl and bowl made of a mexican hardwood called jobillo I believe.

The real reason for me posting is that I am getting into fine woodworking using traditional hand tools for 90% of the work. I will be making small pieces of furniture, mainly end tables and maybe some coffee tables, using slab wood with live edges. I will be turning legs for tables, as well as still doing some bowls but mainly faceplate turning because I don't have enough saved up yet to splurge on a nice 4jaw chuck. I recently acquired a tool chest full of antique tools after a relative passed away. From what I can gather the tool chest itself is well over a hundred years old.

I plan on restoring the handsaws and spokeshave. as well as get some of the chisels back in working order. I still need to find a few bench planes and a good dovetail and tenon saw to get started.

Nick - Welcome to the Creek! Nice variety of bowls! I really like the walnut with the copper wire around the rim. Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Welcome Nick. I sure hope you continue to turn as well as the other areas of woodwork you are interested in.
    I have a couple of saw handles in my shop that I got at a garage sale a few years ago. I think any one of them would be perfect for your restoration project. If you are interested I would be pleased to contribute it.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Nice work. Don't feel limited by face-plates, you can make any project with face-plates that can be done on a chuck (some will take more time).