Thread: Curly BLM/Walnut HF

Curly BLM/Walnut HF

Got the idea of segmenting a piece of walnut in a HF from looking at John Keeton's web site. The base wood is Curly BLM that I got from North Woods Figured Woods at SWAT last year. I cut the blank about 1/3 of the way down and then inserted the walnut. The piece is 6 1/4"W x 4 3/4"H. C&C welcome.
    IMG_6281.jpg IMG_6283.jpg

I think it's great. Different. But in a good way.

Steve, I am glad you got some inspiration from viewing the site! Laminating a contrasting wood is actually one of the methods I have used to conceal the joint of two piece "clamshell" hollow forms that are done without using hollowing tools. This is one of the things I use in teaching and workshops. When done as a clamshell, one can make the hole much smaller, as well.

I think you did a nice job with this one. My only suggestions would be to consider a bit more narrow walnut inset and perhaps a little concave in the curvature of the top flowing into the upsweep of the throat. But, those are more just suggestions consistent with my personal tastes.

Les has some nice wood, for sure! I have bought from him a few times.

John, thanks for looking and commenting. I agree with the contrasting wood being thinner. I think it would give a more "delicate" look to the turning. I also think having it closer to the top and doing some detailing on it would also be interesting. I had not considered a "clamshell" method of making a HF. Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to try that at some point.

I like it. You could have made the lid removable and not lost anything on the looks, but as a closed form it is really nice too. I like the use of contrasting woods and veneers to delineate the edges.
    You can walk with a wooden leg but you can't see with a glass eye - Always were Eye Protection!

Richard, I used my skew to make the groove on either side of the walnut and then used wire to burn the groove. Sorry, no veneer.

very nice, Steve

It is a very nice hollow form with great form and wood.

Nicely done. I agree with John's suggestions. I can see his influence in your piece.

It looks great Steve. It's very graceful. The walnut really enhances its elegance. I like it a lot. What's BLM, some kind of maple ? Pardon my ignorance.

BLM--Big Leaf Maple. It grows in the nothwestern part of the country.

Did you turn that out of green wood and if so what glue did you use? very nice might have to give that a try.

Joseph, the walnut was dry but the BLM had some moisture in it. At this point, the moisture in the two woods has equalized and will change based on environment. Any problems will probably only occur if their is a huge difference in the coefficient of expansion of the two woods. To glue the two woods together, I used Titebond II.