Thread: low ceiling height/cyclone thoughts?

low ceiling height/cyclone thoughts?

I am working on dust collection for my basement. I would like to get a cyclone, but my ceiling height is 81" to the joists and around 88" to the subfloor. I would like something in the 3hp + range. the Oneida v-system and the psi tempest are the only 2 I'm seeing that I can fit. The tempest would require me to split the filters and shorten the flex pipe between the cyclone and the dust barrel. The tempest I can pick up fairly locally to me and it comes in around $600 cheaper than the Oneida. Any others that may fit under my ceiling limitations?

I am also trying to figure out placement of my cyclone. I have attached a pic(if I did it right) of my shop layout. the only 2 places I see that would work are in the empty closet in the corner or by the stairs? Any thought on the best location in relation to duct runs? I also use my lunchbox planer on my assembly table so I would need access to a dust port near there as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I realize this is unsolicited feedback, but I'd be tempted to see if there was a way to run the feed direction of the tablesaw and jointer the long way or diagonally. As configured, it may be challenging to joint/cut even the common eight foot lengths. But I may misunderstand your constraints and other considerations. I once had a shop of a similar size and built some amazing things in it, though I did most of the assembly elsewhere - my dust collector was a small single stage Hitachi bag.

To your question, a custom (could be home-built) plenum/manifold for the filters - putting them side-by-side - would reduce the filter height requirement, though increase the footprint. I have no experience with either system you mention ... they look comparable. I would choose the quieter one.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 10-01-2014 at 11:13 AM.

I should clarify. There is a support pole between the jointer and the table saw. There is no way to move the table saw long ways and still keep any bit of rip capacity. the way they are sitting now I have a full 8' to either side of the jointer cutterhead, and 7.5' for the table saw for wide stock such as plywood. The stairs is open so I can rip narrow boards a little over 8'.

Have you looked into or thought about mounting your motor off to the side of the blower housing? Instead of a direct feed, you would using a couple of pulleys and a belt to drive the impeller in the housing. That will gain you about a foot or so easily in height albeit at more expense and complication.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Laguna makes a short cyclone. google short cyclone dust collector.

I have 82" under the joists in my basement shop, I went with the Clearvue. Contact them and they will help you out with a design.
    Steve

I suppose if you really got ambitious you could set up some sort of auger at the bottom of your cyclone so it could be mounted much lower. Of course, it would have to be fully enclosed.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Would be nice if someone would post their experience with the tempest, as about all I read about on this forum is Oneida and Clearvue. I'm sure all 3 build some good units.

Clearvue have a proven short height design so contact them for details. I had some photos of it some time ago but they seem to have disappeared.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening