Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chemically stained Sapele desktop final outcome

Chemically stained Sapele desktop final outcome

I wanted to consolidate pics from several different threads on the same project: sapele desktop treated with potassium dichromate and finished with GF WB conversion varnish. A couple of members sent PM's expressing an interest in the chemical staining process and asking for pics; SMC doesn't accommodate PM photo attachments so I thought it might be OK to add these here.

The pics show the progression from untreated glue up, post PD treated glue up, CV finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Beautiful.

Very nice. Looks almost identical to wood that I purchased under the name of African Mahogany and then finished using Waterlox Original.

I will admit some ignorance here. Is Sapele the same as African Mahogany? I thought that African Mahogany was generally from the Khaya famliy, but my desk looks almost exactly like the Sapele you used. So, might I have Sapele as opposed to a Khaya family?

Tight, Scott, tight!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Really nice look Scott. That process sure did work nicely. Congrats! By the way, does that finish provide a hard surface? Is it apllied via spray or ??

The wood database on sapele says it is similar to genuine mahogany. My local hardwood store has a lot of it and it's not terribly expensive - I've been tempted to try it out. I like the nice clean look of it.

As someone that has worked with Ribbon Sapele before
    (and never again) - this is an epic achievement.

Kudos

Exclamation A caution about chromate staining

There are a bunch of reasons not to employ this method.

1. I have done the testing and the color is not as light fast as premetallized dye which will get one to the same color, safer.

2. Chromate is a proven carcinogen via respiratory route. It raises the grain so sanding is a typically followup after staining. I can't hold my breath that long.

3. Many states have laws governing the storage, use and disposal of chromate. Should one live in one of these states be kind to friends and neighbors that know you have it. A call to the local regulatory agencies and a heap of trouble will follow.

Scott,

That's a beautiful top. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Is Sapele the same as African Mahogany? I thought that African Mahogany was generally from the Khaya famliy, but my desk looks almost exactly like the Sapele you used. So, might I have Sapele as opposed to a Khaya family?
    From the Wood Database:

"Comments: Sapele is a commonly exported and economically important African wood species. It’s sold both in lumber and veneer form. It is occasionally used as a substitute for Genuine Mahogany, and is sometimes referred to as “Sapele Mahogany.” Technically, the two genera that are commonly associated with mahogany are Swietenia and Khaya, while Sapele is in the Entandrophragma genus, but all three are included in the broader Meliaceae family, so comparisons to true mahogany may not be too far fetched."

I've had mahogany and sapele in the shop side by side. The difference of the material I had was negligible.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by bill tindall View Post
    There are a bunch of reasons not to employ this method.

1. I have done the testing and the color is not as light fast as premetallized dye which will get one to the same color, safer.

2. Chromate is a proven carcinogen via respiratory route. It raises the grain so sanding is a typically followup after staining. I can't hold my breath that long.

3. Many states have laws governing the storage, use and disposal of chromate. Should one live in one of these states be kind to friends and neighbors that know you have it. A call to the local regulatory agencies and a heap of trouble will follow.

I challenge your statements and find then unnecessarily alarmist.

1) All of the evidence I've read indicates that chemical staining is superior to die/stains with respect to both shade contrast and color fastness.

2) A vapor respirator and chemical gloves provide adequate and safe protection. Speaking from first hand experience, pre-raising the grain with water completely eliminates post treatment grain raising. Your ability to hold your breath has no bearing on a safe and successful outcome.

3) Your statement is non-sensical. It's a given than toxic chemicals should be handled and disposed of according to regulatory requirements in your jurisdiction; how do friends and neighbors come into play?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have used it before and it is nice to work. However, if you get the ribbon in the grain, milling it with a drum sander is preferable to a planer. My local lumberyard did that for a small fee.

Sure looks great to me. Are they falling dead all around you from Chromate poisoning? Hmm, probably not. Thus, I'd keep it.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Blog Entries
    Looks beautiful!

It turned out great. Nice job. I read the MSDS on the PD and I don't see it any more dangerous than some of the common household cleaners many use. Once again it looks great and something to be proud of.

Looks great! The overall tone is nice and even with the ribbon figure coming through nicely. Can you spell out the finish that you used? I'm not familiar with WB.

Ribbon sapele is one of my favorites. It is denser and more stable than ribbon khaya, although the ribbon shimmer is not quite as pronounced. And sapele smells a lot better when you cut it. Sharp tooling is a must to avoid tearout from the interlocked grain, but we get much better yield from sapele compared to khaya with carbide insert heads.
    JR