Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chemically stained Sapele desktop final outcome

Quote Originally Posted by bill tindall View Post
    Would this fall under your definition of a pre-metalized dye? ...yes The Moser dyes (available from Woodworker Supply and elsewhere)I investigated were premetallized (or metallized). There is some classic source in NY (name not remembered) and the dyes from them that I checked were not metallized.

That said, there are probably 100+ chemicals out there used to make wood dye stains. I have no doubt that they vary in lightfastness and I have only checked two. But as a general rule the premetalized dyes are more lightfast than the typical azo or anthraquinone (so called "aniline") dyes.
    I believe you are referring to WD Lockwood, they are in NYC and have been making dyes for a long time.. Just one of many sources for water based dyes that I have used..
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 10-02-2014 at 6:04 PM. Reason: messed up quoting

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Sharp tooling is a must to avoid tearout from the interlocked grain, but we get much better yield from sapele compared to khaya with carbide insert heads.
    Amen, Reverend.
    Working this stuff, by hand, is like an exerpt from Dante's inferno.

Thought I'd add a note to this. I built a dining table out of Sapele and used the potassium dichromate as well about 8 years ago. I used Scott's method of raising the grain before applying the chromate. After the chromate, i took some 0000 steel wool and lightly 'burnished' the wood. This really made the ribbon grain come alive; almost 3D looking.
    Clark Harbaugh

That really turned out lovely. Great color and a super looking work surface.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

5. I believe sapele is actually in the magnolia family, i dont know the scientific names so take it for what its worth.