Thread: Robust Comfort Rest on PM 3520B

Robust Comfort Rest on PM 3520B

Just wanted to report that I recently purchased a 12" Robust Comfort Rest for my PM 3520B and have found it to be an excellent upgrade from the stock tool rest.

Far more comfortable to use (thus the name) and I love the hardened bar for the lathe tools to slide on - allows for far smoother tool movement than the cast iron tool rest.

I see a couple of Robust curved rests in my future...

I purchased the Robust 9" Low Profile for my 3520 and find that it is limited to spindle type work. It seems like the riser on the banjo frequently gets in the way of the work piece when turning bowls. I can see now that the 12" Comfort Rest would have been a better choice.

Just a matter of days until I do the same thing. Just haven't decided which vendor I'll get it from yet because there's a couple other things I want to add to the order.

I have a Robust low profile rest and I like it very much. I wish their curved rests were also available low profile. My lathe's tool rest holder is too tall for a standard rest, I can't get below center.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kaufman View Post
    I purchased the Robust 9" Low Profile for my 3520 and find that it is limited to spindle type work. It seems like the riser on the banjo frequently gets in the way of the work piece when turning bowls. I can see now that the 12" Comfort Rest would have been a better choice.
    I have several lengths of Comfort Rests, but find that the the curved lower portion sometimes gets in the way, especially on some of the varieties of plates (and bowls) I do. I plan on getting a couple sizes of the Low Profile for such projects, and the spindle work I do. That aside, I really like the Robust rests.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Just haven't decided which vendor I'll get it from yet because there's a couple other things I want to add to the order.
    I looked around quite a bit and the (online) prices were almost identical everywhere. Unless you've got a discount coupon (like the 15% off "bag sale" last weekend at the local WoodCraft), I'm not sure it makes much difference where you buy the Robust tool rest. I ended up buying mine from Craft Supplies USA but not for any particular reason.

FYI - I also found the "Tool Rest Selection Matrix" from Robust helpful in determining which model I needed to buy. http://www.turnrobust.com/PDF%27s/Tool_Rest_Matrix.pdf

I think the J rest is possibly my favorite. I have the shorter one. I also have the 4" and 9" comfort rests. I just lost the top of a tall vase becasue the rest moved in the Jet banjo. The 1642 is prone to having the banjo release from the ways and to release the rest. That is possibly my next upgrade as I understand that Robust makes (or will make) a replacement.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thom - I think the banjo from the sweet 16 or the liberty would be a perfect fit for the Jet. They're great banjos.
    I started using the rests when I had the Jet 1642 and then got a few more when I upgraded to the AB. I've got 7 Robust rests curved, straight, a large Hannes J-rest - but the one I use the most is the 12" low profile - it's a great all around rest. If you keep the shorter rests when you go to a larger lathe, the 'dog leg' Robust makes will allow you to use the shorter posts in your new banjo. It also allows you to get a shorter rest into the inside of a bowl a little easier.

I have several of the low profile Robust rests and I love them. Sometimes they get a little grabby from sap in the wood, but, a quick rub down with steelwool clears that right up. Thom, Oneway will make you a banjo for your Jet. I put a Oneway banjo on my Liberty and it works great. MY lathes all use 1" posts, so I can swap tool rests around as needed.
    Joe

Don't forget Robust sells an offset rest also. It is for deeper or larger bowls, and it works great.