Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's a possibility…

It's a possibility…

Can't say for sure it'll be mine, as I'm still in my option period. Will know late Sunday for certain.

1200 sq ft. Smaller than I was wanting, and not a timber frame, but it'll do. Not bad looking, either.

PreviewScreenSnapz003.jpg

I thought you already had a place?? I must have missed an episode or two of "As Todd Turns..."
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Come on Chris. Keep up.

Summer 2012 - Bought Lot A. Planned to build on it.

Sold the house/workshop (1200 sq ft) in April 2013. Been renting ever since. No workshop here.

Was going with Builder A on lot A. Fired him. Actual pricing did not meet what pricing we were sold at.

Bought House A - fixer upper, 1 car garage, plan was to fix it up and move into it (and stop renting) until we built on Lot A.

Decided I didn't like Lot A. Bought Lot B. Sold Lot A.

Was going with Builder B on Lot B. Builder B didn't like my attitude when started asking detailed questions. He invited me to fire him. I did.

Decided to have plans drawn up for Lot B for house, garage, and made the decision to go with a Timber Frame shop. Timber Frame shop was looking like it would be a Jan 2015 project. Very excited about that.

Two months away from finishing House A, found House B, with above workshop (also 1200 sq ft). Made offer, it was accepted, and right now we're in our option period.

Lot B is for now sale. House A will be for sale too, maybe, depending as to whether Lot B sells first.

There. Read it, learn it, love it.

Todd

Reading your reply reminded me of this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Todd,

I didn't realize you were just up the road a bit. (45 miles or so for you not familiar with the area). An easy 35-45 minute drive; only a few lights between Chappell Hill and my bowling alley in Tomball.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Yep. I know Tomball. Been thru there tons. I tried to buy some of that alley when you had it for sale, but got wind of it too late.

When I get set up (assuming the deal goes through), maybe I'll have a little cowboy breakfast or afternoon shindig of some sort for all the local SMC woodworkers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Yep. I know Tomball. Been thru there tons. I tried to buy some of that alley when you had it for sale, but got wind of it too late.

When I get set up (assuming the deal goes through), maybe I'll have a little cowboy breakfast or afternoon shindig of some sort for all the local SMC woodworkers.
    Count me in; I love the Chappel Hill area. I live south of Houston so it's more of drive for me than it is for Scott but I'll make the drive.

Well, looks like she'll be mine.

First order of business will be to make her waterproof. Currently, there's no water barrier behind that board and batten siding. Several missing knots and loose boards too. Roof is good though. I'm considering adding on 12' along the 40' length.

Shades of A.J.Downing........was my first thought.

Forget the title,and too lazy to go find it but he has a nice book(prolly 'round 1840?) that you could snag off line for a cpl bucks.Your shop has deep roots.

Congratulations!

..however, I admit I'm disappointed that we won't get to watch you build a timberframe shop...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Congratulations!

..however, I admit I'm disappointed that we won't get to watch you build a timberframe shop...
    Thanks, and hold that thought for a couple years.

You can still build a nice little Pergola out back.

Maybe the world's largest swingset, while you're at it.
    I'm amazed that you can move property so quickly.

Only the Bahzillion dollar shorefront and Beat-down foreclosures are quick sells, uppa-heya.

What I wouldn't give for that much man-cave....

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I admit I'm disappointed that we won't get to watch you build a timberframe shop...
    Me too... But on the bright side, you can go watch Alain Vallaincourt build his on youtube. That's been great fun.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCs...VT7AKkbVI5y8bQ

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    First order of business will be to make her waterproof. Currently, there's no water barrier behind that board and batten siding. Several missing knots and loose boards too. Roof is good though. I'm considering adding on 12' along the 40' length.
    1200 square feet and it's still not enough.... I'm just shaking my head here, Todd!!!

I read your list of recent property transactions and my head is spinning. Hope things settle down for you soon!
    "It's Not About You."

Well, the barn-to-workshop transformation, on the interior, is about done. I just about have a function shop. After 2 years. This is a (good) big deal.

When I started, I had 2 lights, 200 watts total, and two 120V receptacles. Now, I have 8 lights (4 @ 200 watts, 1 @ 100 watts, and 3 @ 85 watts (CFL 12" spiral - makes the 200W bulbs look dim)).

And, I've upgraded the electric quite a bit too. I added two 50A breakers (one for welder and one for 15" wide belt sander), a 40 amp breaker for a 10HP rotary phase converter - enter 3PH power now!), a couple 30 amp breakers (tablesaw and compressor) and several 20 amp 240 outlets, and I now have about 17 120V receptacles. So, 3PH is up and running for my edge sander, dust collector and jointer/planer, and another leg for my 3PH metal lathe, with room to expand later.

Now… however… I need to address the building. This is where the real $ starts to flow.

It needs:

1) $6300 in foundation work. The north and west sides drop off 3" from the high point.

2) Siding removed and building paper added for a water barrier. However, it's complicated. I want to insulate this building, but here's the deal…
    a) Wall framing is 2X6 x 12' studs, 24" OC. Every 30-ish inches or so, vertically, there is 2X6 horizontal blocking. So, from the inside of the barn, the walls are essentially this big grid of square recesses.

b) I have already purchased 4X4 and 4X8 rigid polyiso insulation. I bought this back when I was gonna build a timber frame as a "wrap and strap" insulation job. I would have poured the slab for that shop with an extra lip so that there would have been plenty of lip to accommodate the 3.5" of foam and the wrapping.

c) if I put my sheet insulation on the exterior of my framing (the fastest and most effective way to install it), plus 2X4 horizontal nailers on top of that (5/4 western red cedar requires 1.5" of nailing surface), and then reapply my board and batten siding, I'll have right at 5" of gap between the siding and foundation walls. This will look goofy.

d) An option to fill that 5" gap would be to add stone veneer to the foundation side walls. Just more $$.

e) and… I have enough room on the sidewalls of the barn to extend the sides out 5" and still be under the roof overhang. However, on the gable ends, there is no roof overhang, so the walls will stick out further than the roof, which means having to extend the roof out 5" on both gable ends. And new shingles. $$. Or a new roof altogether. $$$$.

f) assuming I've made it this far, I still need to insulate at the top. Options here are on top of the roof decking (fastest and easiest to install) or hanging under the open chord trusses. If I added it as a ceiling, I would want to cover it, probably with bead board. That would be a lot of weight, and my 2X4 trusses that are on 24" centers, I don't think, would support that kind of weight.

g) If I put the insulation on the inside of the wall framing squares, that's a major PITA, cutting each one to fit each different sized hole. This is sub optimal, and then, I would have to cover it with some type of paneling, and my preference would be 1X6 horizontal T&G pine. $$. I wouldn't mind starting at tar paper, but I don't want to stare at insulation tucked into each recess.

New exterior siding runs about $9800 delivered. (5/4 WRC). I might be able to reuse some of what I take off, but I want to order enough in case it's all deteriorated. Plus, any left over can be installed on the house and garage that needs it too.

If I need to go with new roofing, I figure about $7500 for a nice metal roof.

Still need to upgrade the electric service to the shop. New transformer is $1800, and then I would need a loop to the shop. $$?

I've already spent $6000 on the insulation.

Adding it all up,
    1) $6300 for the foundation
    2) $9800 for the siding
    3) $7500 for the roof
    4) $6000 for the insulation
    5) $4000 for stone around the foundation walls

I'm up to $33,600. That's a lot of play dough.

So, option B. Build a new shop. Might cost double that $#, but it would be designed right from the get-go and there would be no "hacks" on it.

Whatdayouthink?

Uh...yeah...go for it?? Bulldozer sounds good...start fresh...do it right...ain'tcha tired of hacking stuff?