Thread: TV base entertainment console concept

TV base entertainment console concept

I have to build one and this is what I came up with to fit the space. Styled to match the Stickley-design seating group.

There seems to be a great resource near our new Colorado home, Austin Hardwoods of Denver. They have all the QS white oak I would want for this, and offer it in 3/4 boards already surfaced, and in rough sawn at 4/4 through heavier than I need. Tuesdays, you can book time on their 54" wide belt sander for doing your glued up panels.

Up on the 3D Warehouse, search for "TV Stickley console" and you will surely find it, for downloading into your Sketchup application.

I put three drawers inside each side behind the doors, and sized all to work with Blum Tandem 15" slides. Hey, I know old Gus would have not used the slides, but neither would he have had a huge flatscreen TV to sit on top of this thing.

I think I need to upsize the legs just a little tiny bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's going to be a nice looking cabinet, Gene. I'd like to see pics of your Stickley furniture, too. My wife and I recently got some second-hand Stickley furniture.

It couldn't hurt to beef up the legs some. It's a long cabinet. I would make them thicker, forward some, not wider. I think I'd also put a center post in the back.

I'm skeptical about getting wood that's already surfaced to finish dimension. Oftentimes it's not straight or has a blemish and if it's already 3/4", it can't easily be fixed.

Be sure to show the finished piece, if not progress photos.

I've never figured out why folks put drawers behind doors. To get something, you have to first open the doors, then pull out a drawer. Then you close the drawer, and then you close the doors. It'd be simpler if the drawers came all the way out the front face of the cabinet. You also get an inch more interior space in the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I've never figured out why folks put drawers behind doors. To get something, you have to first open the doors, then pull out a drawer. Then you close the drawer, and then you close the doors. It'd be simpler if the drawers came all the way out the front face of the cabinet. You also get an inch more interior space in the cabinet.
    True but if you want the look of doors and still want to be able to reach the stuff in back without getting down on your hands and knees, a pull-out drawer or shelf is kinda handy.

Blog Entries
    I'll chime in with the center foot concern. I'm not sure how wide the piece is but it looks to be 60" or so. I would use thick material for the long stretchers. How wide (tall) is the stretcher at the thinnest part at the center of the span? Once you center speaker, electronics and media or whatever get loaded in the drawers, there will be considerable weight on those wide spread corners ;-)

I also put drawers (or pullouts) behind doors. The easy thing to figure out is the reason Curt states; aesthetics. If you want drawers for practical reasons but, want doors for looks . . . that's what you do. I have also made drawers look like doors, made single drawers that looks like two drawers but actually have three internal compartments, etc. Whatever suites the client practically while maintaining the visual effect desired.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The way it will get built with the solid back of plywood, the whole thing is like a precast concrete bridge tee section. It is 90 inches wide, and these things ship out of the Amish plants every day with no center leg.

The doors will all get butterfly inlays at the v-joint center seam of the panels. Just like Gus would have done. Pic attached shows first attempt at sizing the inlays.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gene Davis; 10-03-2014 at 10:23 AM.