Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unrepairable vehicle question.

Unrepairable vehicle question.

What is a person supposed to do or can do, if their mechanic has told them that their vehicle is unrepairable due to underframe rust through ? Mechanic says to junk it, but if there is still a couple of years left on the car payments, will the Bank do anything to help out ??? Mechanic said it can't be repaired , won't pass inspection and to junk it. From what I can tell, it will cost more to fix it, than it is worth on the Bluebook. There are 2 holes in the subframe on the left and right front sides , up near the wheels, about a foot or so behind them. Can put your fist through each one.

Would it be better to just explain the situation to the car dealer, the car is out of warranty, and to let the bank take the car back ?
    Note: this is NOT my vehicle.

Thanks,

Clarence.

I would take the car to a small-time body man (those are the guys who are constantly seeing those types of cars - the ones that need a couple of hundred bucks of body work to limp along a little further) and see if they think there is anything that can be done to make the car last another year or two. If it's mechanical, they'll likely know a guy who can do the mechanical work for a lot less than a dealer, as those are the guys that used car dealers go to for the auction cars and such to get them ready to sell cosmetically and mechanically. With some of the crap they work on and at the low rates they charge, if they tell you it's not worth it, then I think you (or whoever it belongs to) go shopping for another car hoping that you can find a loan to roll your balance into.

And then take the catalytic converter off the car, the battery out and haul it to scrap. Should net about $300.

I doubt any bank that would finance a car old enough to develop serious subframe rust is going to care much about the owner's predicament.

They (bank) are going to want the signer to continue paying as agreed.

But you may as well try them.

That's a bad place to be in.

Car to share location, make, model, and year? I would not have thought htis to be possible in modern-day vehicles.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    That's a bad place to be in.

Car to share location, make, model, and year? I would not have thought htis to be possible in modern-day vehicles.

It's a 2004 Buick LeSabre with just under 87,000 miles. The Senior Citizen that owns the vehicle, has owned it for just under 3 years. Put only 7,000 miles on it. Car Dealer sold it to them as a "Value car". It was fine when they first bought it, but started rusting last year. Dealer talked them into buying an Extended Service Contract when they bought the car, which it turns out didn't cover much of anything.

As it is now, if they can't get it repaired reasonably, they are thinking of just telling the bank to take it back, because it is unrepairable and can't pass inspection.

A sub-frame rusting through that quickly doesn't sound right to my ears. Either something was done to it or it was on its way out well before they bought it. Are they in the winter salt capitol, Minneapolis/St. Paul, by chance? They could just stop payment on it and get it repossessed and deal with the credit backlash but perhaps the bank might be willing to work with them on it? Will the insurance company do anything?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    vehicle is unrepairable due to underframe rust
    won't pass inspection
    Will it fail inspection because of the rust and holes in the subframe? Or is the mechanic refusing to fix some other inspection related problem not directly related to the holes?

Cars can rust through that fast in upstate new york or northwest PA where the salt is on the road often in winter (due to lake effect snow).

While living in Oregon, I had '74 Scout that got hit by a neighbor while parked on the street in front of our home. Their insurance company paid to replace an entire quarter panel. Later that year I was promoted and moved to Chicago. Less than 2 years later that new quarter panel rusted through in several places. They used a lot of salt in the Chicago areas in those days.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I was poking around California's DMV site as I was curious what to do if my car will not pass the smog test and it isn't financially feasible to repair it. I guess there is a program where you can "retire" the car and get some form of compensation for it. I don't know the details of the compensation, however.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Sounds like the car spent some of its life on calcium chloride dirt roads.
    Taking a hit to the credit rating, letting the bank take it back may be the best option. Buy another car first.
    Or, taking it apart as a parts car, might generate a good chunk of money.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    A sub-frame rusting through that quickly doesn't sound right to my ears.
    You must have never been to Iowa. They use so much salt and brine here, i sometimes think I can hear my car rusting!

You are better off getting a new car.

Senior citizen?

Payments in excess of the car's value?
    Let the bank repo - they will be on the hook for disposition.

It's an investment, not a solemn vow.
    At the owner's age, what's the worst that can happen to their credit score?

Stop making the payments.

There is no such thing as an unrepairable car. There is a financial feasibility limit though. A car that new should have pretty good value as a parts car. Get a second opinion like some of the others said.