Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who really runs your business?

Got to agree with Keith, done the years of corporate run around now have a 30 second commute
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Who runs the business? Earlier mention of sales people 'n production people (engravers) facing off - each group, apparently, wishing to exert "power" over the other - not a place I'd want' a work! Even the mention of that workplace dredges up sore memories! IMO: Managers, or owners, are solely responsible for creating a "culture of cooperation 'n understanding" 'tween sales and production folks. 'Cause each side will indeed have their own personal agenda: fact 'o life. Ultimately, profit or loss tells the story. And, loss can't be good for either side. Just thinking 'bout businesses dealing with this issue makes me think: Oh, what' a wonderful decision I long 'go made to run my own business! - a one-horse show! No question, no argument, as to who runs things. Sounds like others of you, like me, left the corporate world behind to do your own thing. Tight as things get, sometimes - I've never once questioned my decision.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Stearns; 10-06-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Colson View Post
    I love having a simple garage style business. I especially like it on those nasty weather days. I remember getting up early and driving through peak hour traffic. Now I just get up, make a coffee and head down stairs.
    I used to drive here every day, but since my folks passed away I'm now a downstairs commuter. My problem is getting back UPstairs. Too easy to not shut the place down.

But I do love the simple biz life. Never had an employee, nor any of the miles of red tape that comes with them. The vast majority of my customers are other businesses. Off-the-street business is tough, time consuming, and the money isn't nearly as good. In fact, it's that time of year when my website goes 'out of order' for the holidays...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I sell online only and even all my regular customers either have come after purchasing from me through eBay or through my online store where they are coming from google/bing or online business directories. So I would say nobody is really doing sales for me and nobody is telling me what I need to cut/engrave except for my customers. I have no problems with fulfilling orders but packing and communication(through email only) takes so much time that I am thinking to hire someone just to help me with these two very time consuming tasks.
    GCC Spirit GX Pro 100W(synrad)
    Laserlife Ezlaser LCW 300W(Yongli DLT-300)

Thanks for the feedback creekers! What I took from most of the responses is that neither side should be vying for power or control. And to try to adjust the issues concerning that is a waste of time if management isn't willing to help. As the engraver in this situation, I find it frustrating that sales can and has given us ridiculous deadlines without batting an eye. These concerns have been presented to sales but in reality BILL is right, they need to go to management and the fat cats at the top need to do more to smooth relations and expectations between production and sales.

On a side not, I would LOVE to have my own machine and answer to no one but myself. But until then im stuck playing with other peoples machines.
    Trotec Speedy 300 x 4
    Trotec Speedy 300 Fiber
    Mimaki Direct to Printer x 4

Blog Entries
    Sean,

in an effort to create more collaboration in your setup, how about having sales staff come down to work on the floor with experienced folks and learn a bit about what is going on. And also have floor folks spend some time in sales learning more about their operations? And although I normally groan when I have to go through this type of exercise, someone who is good at team building can accomplish a lot in a few days to create a more collaborative work environment. I seem to end up in the mediocre sessions most of the time which is a total waste of time. Though a good source of free donuts otherwise. A good facilitator though is a gem and can do a lot to help build a better working group.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

David, I completely agree. Cross-department education is something we've played with but a high employee turn around makes that tactic an issue after 6 months. The high turn around rate should also be a early sign of larger problems at this company.

At the end of the day, I think teaching sales everything they need to know about the production process's is always going to be an uphill battle. Its not their bag, ya know?
    Trotec Speedy 300 x 4
    Trotec Speedy 300 Fiber
    Mimaki Direct to Printer x 4

Setup a production schedule. It takes "X days to do a job". Then if a rush job comes in the sales person says "I have to check with production". Then have management make the final call. If you don't like the call from management, then you'll probably end up looking for a new job sooner rather than later.

There is another way of looking at this that production rarely think about. Sometimes a sales person is sitting all day on the phone calling and emailing and they are slammed and they can't keep up with the requests but the production team is under control. Do you come and help them answer their phone calls or emails?

It really goes both ways. This is typically why you need a manager/owner in a position to make key decisions.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I feel your pain, Sean. I worked in a fast paced retail 8am-5pm Monday-Friday trophy/awards/sign shop for 18 years. It was just the boss and I for the first 12 years, and she accepted every order that came in despite my pleas. I worked early mornings, late nights, weekends - and she never really understood what it took to pull this off. I was compensated, and not held against my will obviously, but it lead to a ton of ill feelings. I finally burned out, got a couple lasers set up in my basement, and never looked back. It is a vastly under-appreciated skill / art.

My MO is simple, I never ask any of my staff to do something I can't or won't do myself.

My workshop manager is one of the most valuable assets I have, without him I'd be long gone by now
    My staff pay me a lot of money each year, in return for that I respect them and will help them where ever possible,they get paid well above going rates, time off for family stuff, the odd late in early home if needed etc etc in return I get 150% effort every day. On one occasion a job had gone badly wrong and it was due out in the morning, to a man every one of them stepped up without being asked to work overnight setting aside their own home commitments, loyalty is something I value above all things.

I may be the MD but they run the business for me and without them I wouldn't have had the success I have.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Well we own two different businesses and both a detail orientated and limited on ability engraving and embroidery. We have this issue all the time and the reality is the sales people will sell anything they can because that is how they make their money on the engraving side it is not as much an issue but on embroidery there are major limitations when it comes to detail and we have flat out rejected orders when they do not meet the standards. I believe if my company name goes on the project it will be the best that can be done or it does not get done plain and simple. Fire a few reps and the rest fall in line there are some great reps out there and once in awhile you just have to find a new one that follows the companies policies.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)