Thread: Does it count if there's no rust?

Does it count if there's no rust?

I was in Denver on a business trip a couple weeks ago and took a couple days at the end to see some family and decompress a bit. My wife and I stopped in a little antique mall on the South end of Broadway we like. In years past I've found a couple nice hand tools there and figured I'd roll the dice again. It didn't disappoint. An immaculate set of Irwin auger bits from 1/4" through 7/8" in a pasteboard box. They look unused. Not too bad for twenty bucks.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Rob: VERY nice score
    Just noticing the alternating size of the numbers stamped on them; I
    have no benchmark because my much less complete batch is made up of
    2 - 3 different makers. In any event, good find.

The 9 and 10 are odd ducks, marked "Wards Master Quality". In terms of screw and cutter geometry they're identical to all the others. I'm guessing they were something Irwin private labeled. Not too concerned, as these Irwins will become my users so this set of Jennings augers I found a while back can stay in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    The 9 and 10 are odd ducks, marked "Wards Master Quality". In terms of screw and cutter geometry they're identical to all the others. I'm guessing they were something Irwin private labeled. Not too concerned, as these Irwins will become my users so this set of Jennings augers I found a while back can stay in good shape.

why is the bits different lengths [auger and/or shank ]

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    why is the bits different lengths [auger and/or shank ]
    Not sure. They're all marked the same and appear to be an original set.

I just went out and checked my Irwin bits that I am sure is an original set. They also vary some in length with no apparent reason to the design. It is probably a function of different people making the molds or something like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Does it count with no rust? Well, yes it does. Auger bits are one set of tools that need to be free from rust.

BTW, you did well!

Richard