Thread: 'New' Jointer help

'New' Jointer help

Hi All,

first post so be gentle!

I am looking to get a jointer, a used 6". I know, I know, get an 8". It is not a money issue, it is a space issue, which is to say, my shop will be 7' x 14'. I may get a combo machine at a later date, but not for today.

Anyway, I am going to see a 6" Jet jointer which is still in the box, but about 10-15 years old. He is asking $650, but I feel this is high.

What does everyone on here think is a fair price. I am thinking $400-500.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Neil

My opinion is that it is still used since it does not have a warranty anymore. I don't think that any 6" used jointer is worth more than $350.

Good as new but used stuff without a situation where it's rare or in heavy demand over here tends to be worth 50 - 60% of new price. There's scope for prices to vary quite widely depending on the model of jointer though - so i guess comparing apples with apples matters. With some adjustment down towards an average spec unit - top of the range tends to do worse on resale. Very hard to do better. Maybe the US is different….
    Last edited by ian maybury; 10-04-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Bearings that old will be a hit or miss. Make sure you can have it under power and check for bearing noise.

Guys,

thanks for the feedback. Thomas, I also thought of the bearings, but I know they are not a big deal to change out.
    jointers in this area have been moving rather briskly, so I am thinking my $400, to maybe $500 top end is ok. He just took the grease off the tables. I wanted to get a Grizzly, but of course they are out of stock for 1-2 months and I need it now. Go figure....

thanks guys

Sounds like it is new in the box just old stock. I think $400-500 would be an ok buy for a new 6" that is unused but old stock. That being said, I gave $275 for my 6" Jet a couple years ago but it had been used quit a bit in a small cabinet shop. my2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Sounds like it is new in the box just old stock. I think $400-500 would be an ok buy for a new 6" that is unused but old stock. That being said, I gave $275 for my 6" Jet a couple years ago but it had been used quit a bit in a small cabinet shop. my2 cents
    $300 is right. $275 is a deal.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You don't say where you're at, but hereabouts not new w/ warranty 6" jointers are going for <=400. I have two I'm going to be selling.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Last year, I bought a new Grizzly G0654 for about $450. Low on bells and whistles, but I've been quite happy with it. Amazon has it priced much higher now, but Grizzly has it at $455 plus $79 for shipping. I'm likely to make the jump to a combo machine in the next few months, and I'll have no regrets over having gone utterly basic on the Grizzly for less than two years of use.

As an update. I ended buying a ridgid unit for $300 on CL. It was in good shape. I bought new knives, installed, PITA. Definite learning experience as I have never used a jointer before. Bought some rough poplar to play with. I still need some better setup as I am getting snipe and other nasty " bad setup" issues. The second board I worked on came out very good though. I think once I get the unit setup dialed in, and work on my technique, it will be good. I also got a makita lunchbox planer and this is a real treat. That things just works out of the box. Very quiet too, which is one of the main reasons I got it, outside of great reviews.

thanks everyone for ,your responses.

Get yourself a good straightedge (like the LV aluminum or steel ones) and get the infeed and outfeed tables parallel. That should help. The woodwhiperer has a good video on jointer setup.

Matt, I have watched the wood whisperer video. The tables seem to be parallel. Thanks for the advice.