Thread: Router Tables

Router Tables

Anything good or bad about this product??

http://sommerfeldtools.com/professio...ld-s-top-fence

Yes, I know it's pricey, but I'm tired of my set up with an insert. I have to constantly adjust the height of the insert and it's not always exactly level with the rest of the table. I want a solid table where everything is always level.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Which table do you currently have? My preference would be one made of CI like the Bench Dog, but I know you don't want an insert. I have a home made table with an insert and never had a problem with it. Maybe there is an issue with your current table that we can help you fix.

When I lived in St. Louis I use to go to the woodworking show there every year and would look at that setup. It's really stout and I was always impressed. However, for that money, I'd build my own table make a big top with two layers of 3/4 mdf wrapped in hardwood topped with formica. Mine's going on 10+ years old. I have a woodpecker lift and no issues. If you have your heart set on it, then it's a good one

routertable.jpg

I have a Woodpecker PRL V1 lift. Love it.

Could you try some blue loctite (non permanent kind) to make your adjustment screw stay where they should? What insert/table setup do you have.

If you decide to sell the insert drop me a pm. I will be adding a couple more router setups soon.

Mikie
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

You can buy a whole sheet of 3/4" Glacier white Corian for $700 bucks that will easily make three or four router table tops. Sell two or three of them and get your table for cheap. You can put Johnson's Paste wax on Corian and it will slide like polished glass.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-05-2014 at 7:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post

I want a solid table where everything is always level.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
    Yes, buy a shaper.

No I'm not kidding, I use mine frequently and since I only make solid wood furniture I use a Euro block head with steel knives. They run $20 to $30 per pair, far better performance than a router.......Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Which table do you currently have? My preference would be one made of CI like the Bench Dog, but I know you don't want an insert. I have a home made table with an insert and never had a problem with it. Maybe there is an issue with your current table that we can help you fix.
    It's an MLCS laminate router table. I have the aluminum insert. The problem is, even after adjusting the set screws, there is still a lip somewhere around the insert that catches wood as you are routing it. There is really no way to have a complete flat surface. It's very annoying having something catch on an edge while routing.

Blog Entries
    I have always run MDF tops. I build the cabinet so that there are more than adequate support ribs running under the top. I can shim at any location along these ribs to assure a dead-flat top. Once a top passes the straight edge test, the inserts are easy to align. I put little "pads" of epoxy where the leveling screws touch down and have not had to readjust since I can remember. I have a Milwaukee 5625 in a PRL so there is a lot of weight on those 8 adjusting points without issue. Just an idea in case you wanted to spend that money on wood .

Of course I am also in favor of anyone getting a nice new tool too
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mark

Check here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...op!&highlight=

CI router table top made from Powermatic 26 shaper top. PM shaper top was had for $50.00 sold off other items that came with shaper cabinet for $65.00 a little ahead.Tom
    Last edited by Thomas Hotchkin; 10-05-2014 at 7:21 PM.

I have had a cast iron [CI] router table attached to my table saw for years and would not have a router table made of anything else. It's flat, doesn't vibrate, is maintenance free and is stable.

Mark, Veritas makes a steel top for $200 that might be of interest to you. Its item 05J20.01. Its just the table, but its easy to build a good fence. Most importantly, if you buy it and are unsatisfied with the way it works for you (wont lay flat, etc), LV will let you return it (and probably pay return shipping).

Ive been eyeballing it myself. Take a look and see what you think.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”