Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need good tools for projects. Buy them, sell them after projects done.

Quote Originally Posted by John Piwaron View Post
    But are they really no longer needed? My experience is that once I've got the best, it's the "lesser" that now goes unused. It's those that get sold. I've got pipe clamps that will probably never be used again now that I have a lot of Bessy K bodies. You imply that if you continue to own the Domino that there will be no further use for it.

I don't think so.
    This. The only thing I use my pipe clamps for is glue-ups that are too large for my K-Bodies. I can't speak to how useful you may find a Domino down the road, as I don't have one and it's merely a ways down on my long list of future tool acquisitions, but I'd be far more inclined to simply give away my pipe clamps than I would to sell my K-Bodies even at 80%. The only clamps I use more often are my Quick-Grips.

That said, I expect that you should have no difficulty getting 50%, maybe even 60% on the Besseys or Jorgensens, 30-45% on Irwins. The Besseys' resale will depend in part on whether or not you have a lot of Lowes around that blew them out recently, if so, that may hurt their resale in the fairly near term. For the Domino, if you haven't seen any crop up on your Craigslist thereabouts, then you've got a good shot at getting 60-75% for it, possibly more. That, or squat. The market is either starved and hungry, or there is essentially no market for 'em in your area.

Go for it. If after you're done using the Domino and clamps, you either can't sell the stuff there, or decide you'd rather not hassle with it, I'll be happy to pay shipping and take 'em off your hands to free up space for you.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Man, join a co-op.

They've already got tools.
    No hassle with selling off, afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Man, join a co-op.

They've already got tools.
    No hassle with selling off, afterwards.
    Another idea along those lines - see if a local community college offers woodworking classes. If so, you can use their stuff.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by James Zhu View Post
    Agree. Once he has the Domino with Festool dust extractor, he will probably fall in love with Festool, forget about selling it and start buying more Festool products, it is an addiction
    The Festool dust extractor - I have one. Wow. It's great. Great for the Domino, even better for sanding. Besides Festool's own sanders it works with my
    PC sanders. My PC sanders have a circular exhaust that happen to fit the Festool hose.

Sell tools? Hahaha!! Good one!

The only tools I sell are the ones I've replaced (read Chiwanese) with better quality (read American/German/Japanese) ones. As far as losing 10 or 20% -- good luck with that. Someone is dreaming if they think that I'm paying more than 50% for used tools. No warranty, no guarantees on wear/condition/faults. If you plan the sales, you can usually knock off 10-20% off new prices anyway. Of course, there's always a sucker out there.

Regarding the Festool thing, you'd probably pull better than 50% on those just because of the whole cult-following/price-fixing thing that they've generated.

Stickley furniture is expensive, but they make really nice stuff. I have no idea about your abilities, so please keep that in mind with what I'm about to say. Most people that have the ability to match Stickley's quality, probably would already have all the tools they needed for the job. If you're new to woodworking, you're probably not going to match the Stickley quality, so you essentially will have lesser-quality Stickley knockoffs. Those can be readily bought at prices well below what Stickley charges, so your savings will probably not be nearly as big as you're thinking they will be.

The value of a Stickley is in its name. If it's not a Stickley then your furniture will not have the same value. If your motive is to save money on Stickley furniture, then I'm not sure your plan is what you think it is. If your motive is have furniture (in the Stickley style) that you can feel proud that you built with your own hands, then that's a different thing all together, and is probably what most guys here aim for.

If you're planning on selling the tools when you are done, you should buy them used instead. Then you'd only be out the shipping and fees (assuming you can sell them for what you paid for them).

New tools come with a warranty. Typical is 1-3 years, some more. Festools is pretty good, bessy is pretty good too. Anybody who pays you close to full retail for used tools with no warranty is pretty much a fool.
    Just as an FYI - the Festool warranty is fully transferrable. As long as the original purchaser supplies the original sales slip, what's left on the warranty will transfer over.

That's according to posts on the FEG forum.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I don't know how the numbers work for you, but if you have "X - amount" in the Domino and clamps and end up with a room full of furniture worth $10K (don't know what the Quarter Sawn White Oak and etc.. costs you) , I'd say that you have the tools paid for. Selling them could be a plus, but having them for future work is. as they say, priceless. Are you giving up woodworking after this, or will there be another scenario where having the same set of tools can save you $100's or $1000's again?
    When I consider woodworking as something that I work in around my day job, a tool like a Domino or a quality clamp allows me to throw something together in less time, less of my valuable time, than a lesser tool, is worth a lot to me. Either way you're ahead, keep the tools as an investment, (my vote, if I planned on continuing building furniture) or sell them and cut the cost of this project.

Festool 500 just came on for sale at the Festool Owners Group forum site, classified. He is asking 550 and it is the early one with pins not paddles.

Says he has some dominos but does not mention bits.

To directly answer the question - yes I have seriously considered buying the needed tool, using it for the intended purpose and then selling it. I am remodeling the kitchen and need to paint my cabinets. I have told the wife that I will apply a professional grade finish even though I have never done this. I read the Fine Homebuilding article on painting cabinets and intend to follow it step by step. The plan is to buy an Earlex HVLP spray outfit for about $350 - $400 and sell it for half.

I do mostly home repair type woodworking - not fine cabinet work. I need to pay off bills so I can retire. I'd love to have a spray outfit but don't see another need in the next 5 years. So buy it, get the cabinets done and sell it. For me it makes sense.

Here is an example of what the Domino 500 might be sold for after using it to knock out my projects. Guy came on the Festool forum yesterday with this, said 550, stepped in later in the day and edited his asking price to 500.

He obviously thought eBay might be better, put it up there, too. Bidding is up to 595 and he has three days to go. It is an earlier model of the one being sold today for 925, I think. Today's tool has flipdown paddles and not the button studs for repeating a sequence along an edge.

We'll see what the eBay marketplace does with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clifton View Post
    I am remodeling the kitchen and need to paint my cabinets. I have told the wife that I will apply a professional grade finish even though I have never done this. I read the Fine Homebuilding article on painting cabinets and intend to follow it step by step. The plan is to buy an Earlex HVLP spray outfit for about $350 - $400 and sell it for half.
    Advise - practice on something to get your technique down before committing to the "real deal". It looks easy, but isn't necessarily so. I've got a Wagner Finecoat. I bought it many years ago. After comparing it to the Earlex machines, I suspect it was made for Wagner by Earlex or Wagner copied Earlex. I don't know for sure either way. What I do know is that a new Earlex gun would attach to my Finecoat. At the moment, that's what I use. It works o.k. My intent is to buy an Apollo rig by next summer when finishing season arrives again.

Why would you buy a new tool just to sell it? If you plan on selling it, buy it used, use it, and sell it used. The stuff I rotate in and out, I buy used. The stuff I plan to keep for a long time, I buy new. Simple as that.

Folks,

I just did a ton of editing (well, deleting to be frank) in this thread. Let's stick to the topic and not veer off into non-germane topics.

Thank you
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    This thread looks to me like a not-so-subtle "Domino and Clamps For Sale, Rarely Used" ad. Perhaps the OP, who is not a SMC contributor, should be invited to spend the lousy 6 bucks and re-post the thread on the "for sale" forum.

Then again maybe I'm just a cynic.
    Nope. You aren't.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.