Thread: Grizzly G1023RL Problem

Grizzly G1023RL Problem

I have own the G1023RL for about 10 months now and all in all is a very good machine altho the dust collection has a lot to be desired.

With that said, I have just developed a problem which is probably something simple and stupid but I’ve just not figured it out yet. Yesterday, I was going to install a new zero clearance throat plate but I found that my blade will not go low enough under the table to allow enough room for the new plate. I use different plates for different blades and I changed one earlier in the week with no problem. i suspected dust or chips jammed in the trunnions, leadscrew, bevel gears, etc. so I totally vacuumed all the dust, used a wired brush on every surface the carriage assembly rides on and use an air hose to dislodge any unseen debris. But the problem has not gone away. I don’t know if anyone else has experienced the same problem or not but any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

That's the case on all the Unisaw copies I know of.

I plunge my 8" dado blade in first to start the cut.

Call Grizzly tech support...they're the experts and will likely solve the problem.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Without an overhead guard DC is always unsatisfactory; even with one it can be difficult.

I have used a smaller blade, routed out a recess, and lowered the plate down on the moving blade. The first is the most satisfactory.

Blog Entries
    Matt's got it. This is not a problem. There is no reason for the blade to go low enough to allow you to install a shop made ZCI. It is not a design parameter ;-) I have heard rumor that they exist but, I have never had a saw that lowers the blade enough to spin freely under a 1/2" thick insert prior to easing the underside. I also use a dado outer blade or a skilsaw blade for that matter to start the cut. I then swap in the "real" blade and finish the job.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Call Grizzly tech support...they're the experts and will likely solve the problem.
    Doh...I just checked my 1090 and like Matt and Glenn said it won't lower enough with a 10" blade to cut the ZCI.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Hi,

I made a ZCI for my G1023RLWX a while back, and as I recall the blade did drop low enough that I could cut the slot into ZCI with a 10" blade installed. I can't verify this because I am out of town until the end of the month. Material for ZCI was a 1/2" piece of lexan I was given.

As suggested above a call to Grizzly is probably in order…I am second guessing myself now as I had always heard about using a smaller blade to make the first cut, and wonder if I did so and never gave it a second thought. I don't think so, but you know what they say is the "second thing to go" as we get older!

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Space; 10-04-2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Add material thickness & second guessing myself
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I put a 1/2" or 3/8" straight bit in the router table and then set your fence so it more or less centers with where the blade will be. Rout a slot about 1/2 the thickness of your insert into the bottom. You could make it a through slot, but I stop slot it by lowering the insert onto the bit while it's spinning. I don't consider that a high-threat operation, but others may not like that method if the router table makes them nervous.

I have an odd ball Delta Cabinet Saw (36-729) that has a few idiosyncracies:
    -It allows the blade to go more than 1/2" below the top of the table.
    -It has more rectangular insert that is maybe a little wider than a Unisaw
    -The Arbor threads into the pulley assembly, and requires a Dado kit with a replacement arbor and throat plate (~1" dado capacity IIRC)
    -The motor has a brake, which makes me suspect that this saw was made as dadoing saw.

Anyway it's the only Delta Saw I've seen that will lower the blade that much.

The blade comes thru the throat plate on the extreme right and the motor braking can cause a belt resonance if the belts aren't tight. Other than that, I really like the saw.
    Gary

I don't think I've ever owned a saw that allowed the blade to drop far enough for a 10" blade to a thick ZCI. Most won't, so I wouldn't say it's a problem with the saw. You can start the cut with a smaller diameter blade, or precut it part way with a router bit.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Grizzly sells ZCI throat plates and you'll notice that the bottom has been mostly hogged out for you so that you can simply raise your blade and cut the slot.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

What Chris said. It's easy for me to get things from Grizzly cause I live in the same town. Only thing I'll add is that a slot for the riving knife is necessary. Easy to do on the band saw.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi all,

I just got back into town last week and finally got a chance to take a look at my grizzly G1023RLWX.

The 10" blade indeed does lower below the bottom surface of a half-inch ZCI. There is about 1/8 inch clearance between the bottom of the ZC I and the top of the blade tip, when the blade is fully lowered.

Earl, how did things turn out at your End?
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!