Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary movies?

Scary movies?

When I was growing up, my mother played bridge some Friday and Saturday nights and my father, brothers and I would often watch scary movies on TV (like anything running on Shock Theatre). My brothers were older and soon it was just my dad and I watching.

Lights out, of course.

One of my dad's favorite "enhancers" was to say he was going to the kitchen to get something to drink or whatever. Soon I'd forgotten he was even gone. He'd then crawl up behind my chair, and at just the right time, his arm would come over the top and he'd scare the carp out of me. I'd jump and then laugh and we'd settle down to watching more.

But my wife and two daughters have zero interest in scary movies. Annabelle came out recently and I know that no movies of this genre will ever really be highly rated but the wife just laughed at the suggestion of going to this movie.

In fact, my older daughter is now 24 and whenever I bring up the idea of watching a horror flick she recalls the time we were watching Jaws (how scary it THAT?) and after returning from the kitchen I snuck up behind her chair and pretended I was a shark. She screamed, then cried, and the wife yelled at me.

I apologized and explained that grandpa used to scare me just like that, and I loved it. I told her I shouldn't have assumed she'd like it. She said she understood and told me to try scaring her again sometime in the future.

So that night after she got ready for bed she was coming around the corner about to go down the stairs while I was about to round the same corner going up the stairs.

My wife was changing our younger daughter's diaper just a few feet from the bottom of the stairs.

So anyway the older daughter is rounding the top of the stairs and I said "boo." That was it, "boo." And she SCREAMED so loud her sister (having her diaper changed by wife) activated all bodily functions. That was I think the only time in my life I ever heard my wife use that kind of language.

So I once again apologized and never again said "boo."

Girls are not boys.

They keep making scary movies, so someone besides me has to be watching them. Anyone else here like this genre?

I used to love scary movies as a kid and young(er) adult. Now I just can't get into them like I used to. My wife gets mad at me when we go to haunted houses because they don't even make me jump (I used to work in one growing up). She calls me a "fuddy duddy". I guess I'm just desensitized after all my experiences. It's a bummer, because I love a good adrenaline rush.
    -Lud

Last I checked, I was a boy and I despise spook movies. IMHO, they are irrational and desensitize impressionable minds. One time I was outside the church as a 10-12 year old as the adults were socializing after dinner. I saw some of the local non church kids, messing with a signpost. My brothers and I wandered over, and discovered that they were affixing a wire across the street at neck height because they saw it in some stupid movie and thought it would be "cool" to try. My brothers and I forcefully removed the contraption and told the parents about the situation. As they were all outside discussing what to do a group of girls zipped by on bikes. I'll never forget the silence of the reprobates as the reality of what they had attempted to do seemed to settle in. If you put crap into a minds, you are more likely to get crap out. Some people can tolerate it with no ill effect, but some sure can't.

I like scary movies [within reason ]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Last I checked, I was a boy and I despise spook movies. IMHO, they are irrational and desensitize impressionable minds. One time I was outside the church as a 10-12 year old as the adults were socializing after dinner. I saw some of the local non church kids, messing with a signpost. My brothers and I wandered over, and discovered that they were affixing a wire across the street at neck height because they saw it in some stupid movie and thought it would be "cool" to try. My brothers and I forcefully removed the contraption and told the parents about the situation. As they were all outside discussing what to do a group of girls zipped by on bikes. I'll never forget the silence of the reprobates as the reality of what they had attempted to do seemed to settle in. If you put crap into a minds, you are more likely to get crap out. Some people can tolerate it with no ill effect, but some sure can't.
    Steve, That scenario is all too real. My best friend still has a scar on her neck from hitting one of those when she was 8 years old riding her bicycle. Her scar is almost "ear to ear" and the docs were amazed it didn't cut into anything deeper than skin. She was extremely lucky.
    -Lud

They may have gotten that from a scary movie, but they could have just as easily seen that on Tom and Jerry or The Three Stooges.

More of a condemnation of bad parenting than scary movies, if you ask me.

I had no TV growing up; to me, it is just a box. I find myself looking at the picture and wondering how they did it or what the actors are like in real life, then I fall asleep. My wife refuses to watch scary movies, and to me they are completely pointless (kind of like watching zombies). I would prefer to paint my nails or something I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I like scary movies, but when I think of "scary," I think Alien, Psycho and The Shining rather than Nightmare on Elm Street or the Jason movies. The movies engineered to deliver the surprise "boo's" also seem to feel like they have to score really high on the "ick" scale too, which isn't something that I feel like I want to subject myself too after a long week.

a young man was on a boat this past summer and hit something that was strung between two piers , they found his body in the water [Cumberland Lake ]

As a kid, Frankenstien, and Vincent Price movies were scary. In my kids day scary movies became 'slasher' movies. In my grandkids day they are worse 'slasher' movies, full of gratuitous violence.

I watched 'Psycho' a while back with my 12 year old grandson. He walked out in the middle, said it was boring. He wasn't interested in 'plot', he wanted to see more zombies eating a brainwich.

I guess I am trying to say that no, I don't like scary movies anymore.

RP

explain the different between scary and horror movies

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    I like scary movies, but when I think of "scary," I think Alien, Psycho and The Shining rather than Nightmare on Elm Street or the Jason movies...
    +1 ^^^

That being said, the single most terrifying moment I have ever watched on film is a scene in John Carpenter's Halloween, where the killer's face slowly appears in the shadows behind Jamie Lee Curtis...

halloween-jamie-lee-curtis-and-michael-myers1.jpg

30 years later, this scene still gives me goosebumps every time.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    +1 ^^^

That being said, the single most terrifying moment I have ever watched on film is a scene in John Carpenter's Halloween, where the killer's face slowly appears in the shadows behind Jamie Lee Curtis...

halloween-jamie-lee-curtis-and-michael-myers1.jpg

30 years later, this scene still gives me goosebumps every time.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    that is one example of a horror movie versus scary movie

I went and saw Annabelle on Friday night. It was a really good movie, so was the conjuring.
    If you want a really scary movie, Go watch VHS 2 its freaky
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Yes, Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus. Not entirely, but it's true enough to place a bet.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.