Thread: That "Affordable Care Act" website... NOT POLITICAL !!

That "Affordable Care Act" website... NOT POLITICAL !!

Ok, Open enrollment is coming up soon and was wondering if there is a better way to go through either the Federal website or one of the State Health Care exchanges to find out which insurance company plans will cover which medications. I tried the State exchange , and all it does is tell you the cost for each policy, but they don't have a way to type in a certain medication and then have the exchange website list all the insurance companies that will cover X medication and what the total cost of all the copays for that medication will be.

There has GOT to be a better way for doing that kind of a search!!!!!!

I may be wrong but don't think the Health Exchange web site is that detailed.
    I would call the Health Care web site and ask them the question. When I called a few times I never waited on hold for no more than 5min. Most times less. I got a hold of some very helpful people. This was the National market place. My state did not set up their own exchange.
    What I did when I lost my Job was get with a local Insurance broker. She did not deal in all the insurance listed in the exchange so I limited my search to her providers. She was able to do the research for me. When I signed up on the Health Care web site, it asked if I was being helped by a broker and what their broker number was (or something like that) so she got credit for the sale.
    I would just pick out a handful of plans on the exchange and call the insurance company to get the details to the plan.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 10-05-2014 at 12:03 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

We ended up getting insurance through my employer, but looked into the exchange for my wife. Our experience, and that of friends who got insurance through the exchange was that the best way was to get the help of a certified "navigator" - but our state exchange had a lot of problems. Most hospitals and larger medical places had navigators on staff. We went to the community health center. It might not be available in your area, but here, it's free, and helpful, and worth the time.

You'll probably either have to use a navigator (i'd check their work, though, by getting policy summaries and formularies and making sure they're for the year you're signing up - and not just the current year in case the formulary changes).

Or you can just call those companies with the type of coverage offered and ask for policy summaries and formularies for your geographic location.

You can buy insurance directly from the insurance company for the same price as the exchange. Just call the companies that offer insurance in your area and ask them about it.

The NY site wasn't worth much; I had to spend hours talking to the insurance companies. But it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    You can buy insurance directly from the insurance company for the same price as the exchange. Just call the companies that offer insurance in your area and ask them about it.

The NY site wasn't worth much; I had to spend hours talking to the insurance companies. But it was worth it.
    But if you buy outside the exchange you do not get the discount benefit if you qualify.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    But if you buy outside the exchange you do not get the discount benefit if you qualify.
    Didn't know that... But the information is the same.

That’s a formulary question and the insurance company’s formulary “should” be posted on their website. Be sure and check what time period it covers—it might change for 2015.

I thought you couldn't use the national exchange if your state has its own exchange? I haven't tried, but I thought I heard it would redirect you to the state exchange if you live in a state with one?

Western Kentucky only had (2013) 2 companies that provided individual policies. I called the agent that "had" my COBRA account and she guided me. It was reasonably quick and easy. Not to get political but she knew what I was paying for the COBRA account so she matched that - had a much higher deductible.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I thought you couldn't use the national exchange if your state has its own exchange? I haven't tried, but I thought I heard it would redirect you to the state exchange if you live in a state with one?
    I think you are correct.
    - Rick Dale