Thread: Document file structure.

Document file structure.

Getting ready for a new lap top and want to get my documents in order.
    Any tips on a standard file structure or a template?

For example, Receipts. Do you have a receipt folder then tools or do you have a folder for tools, then receipts?
    Just looking for a standard that is used if there is such a thing.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

With more modern OS's, I'll admit to getting lazy, and don't store things more than a couple layers deep- one folder for documents, then inside that, receipts, art, writing, code, manuals, etc. not much more from there. If the documents are text, or I've thrown a few tags on them, the search function in the OS finds it almost every time. Things like photos and music , I keep organized in a program, iPhoto and iTunes in my case.

What's this folder stuff? Aren't they still called directories?

What works for me is creating folders (must....try....to....adapt) for each year, then building whatever structure of folders I need underneath. That's for everything except pictures and music.

Besides, if SWMBO saw all the Tools-Receipts for all the years in one place, um, er...

-Tom

Who remembers fighting with user areas using CP/M.

Kinda liking the folder for each year. Anyone else do this?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    What's this folder stuff? Aren't they still called directories?

What works for me is creating folders (must....try....to....adapt) for each year, then building whatever structure of folders I need underneath. That's for everything except pictures and music.

Besides, if SWMBO saw all the Tools-Receipts for all the years in one place, um, er...

-Tom

Who remembers fighting with user areas using CP/M.
    Well, there is a 'dir' command, I don't know of a 'folder' command so .........................

I use Evernote to store all that stuff. I just tag each note and then plop it into a receipts folder. Easy to retrieve later and works with documents, photos, notes, or anything else.

Since the goal is to make it easy for you to locate things, I think the answer is "it depends on how your mind works", that is, what process are you likely to follow when trying to find something. You can either shape the file structure to match your thought process or learn to shape your thought process to to someone else's structure. No one answer will be best for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Baumgartner View Post
    Since the goal is to make it easy for you to locate things, I think the answer is "it depends on how your mind works", that is, what process are you likely to follow when trying to find something. You can either shape the file structure to match your thought process or learn to shape your thought process to to someone else's structure. No one answer will be best for everyone.
    I think this is the correct answer, it depends on how we organize things. Also think about a structure that is easy to back up. I don't know how comfortable you are with computer-related stuff. Some recommend storing data on a partition separate from the operating system, applications and such. By doing that, if the operating system craps the bed - won't start, gets a really nasty bug, whatever - there's a good chance your data is still safe and sound. This doesn't help if the disk physically fails but does help protect against software failures which are more common in my experience.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 10-08-2014 at 7:01 AM.

Steve is on the right track. Personally, organizing by year doesn't work for me since I can't remember when I did / bought things. I would group by topic (tool), then whatever else made sense below that.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post
    Harry,
    I have looked into this several times and come close. For my business I buy a good bit of stuff where I get printed register receipts that inevitably get faded, lost, torn, wet, coffee soaked, and so on. I always wondered how big the file gets though with it doing OCR on every receipt but gosh it would seem interesting if the software sorted/organized everything on a receipt by anything from date, to vendor, to method of payment. Does it do all those things?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Harry,
    I have looked into this several times and come close. For my business I buy a good bit of stuff where I get printed register receipts that inevitably get faded, lost, torn, wet, coffee soaked, and so on. I always wondered how big the file gets though with it doing OCR on every receipt but gosh it would seem interesting if the software sorted/organized everything on a receipt by anything from date, to vendor, to method of payment. Does it do all those things?
    I’ve had NeatReceipts since its inception and they’ve made several revisions over the years to accommodate the size of stored files. It does everything you mentioned and more. If you need to know when and where you purchased those left-hand blue-handled torx screwdrivers, just make sure you make a notation when you log the receipt so you can search for them at a later date.

It comes in real handy when filing taxes or you need to provide proof of purchase at a later date.

Dave Lehnart,

I've learned over the last twenty years of computer use that a very clear and compartmentalized file structure is essential to be able to locate, open, and backup files.

My tactic is to set up two hard drives, though of course this is easy to do on a single drive:

1:
    one (in my main system a 250GB SSD) contains the C:/ drive with the operating system and programs and
    2:
    the second (a 1TB mechanical drive), separate HD has three partitions:

X:
    that correspond to content- my documents, reference materials, photographs and drawings etc,
    Y:
    media- music that I have recorded and edited, and videos, and
    Z: contains a system image that can restore the entire computer including personalized settings and browser bookmarks with a couple of clicks in case of a catastrophic virus or failure of the C:/ drive. The system image is also made when the OS and programs are first installed and in pristine, error-free condition. Having partitions in this way makes backing up quite easy as you can use a couple of clicks in Windows Explorer to copy the entire partition to an external or backup drive.

Of course, everyone will have a different set of main categories.

The X, content drive is set up with a series of master folders called: Architecture, Documents, Images, Industrial Design, and so on. I then set up appropriate subfolders for each master folder, typically by project or content and give the subfolders very clear names and include the date the folder was made, for example, if this post was a project, an X-partition Documents subfolder would be called: Computer_10.15.14 and this post would have a sub-sub folder Computer_Organize HD_Lehnart_Sawmill Crk_10.15.14. That folder might have further subfolders called: Reference, Images, PDF, Outlines, Texts. With images I make folders for People, Trips, My Stuff, Ebay Listings, Cars, etc. and I often put copies into more than one category. Obsessive you may say, but unlike my house, I can find everything on the computer and I have 28,000 documents of up to 600 pages, 25,000 images, 1,300 CAD drawings, 300 hours of musical performance, and so on.

A very good, easy to use program to organize your hard drive is Easeus Partition Master, which is free. You can format drives, set up, resize, copy the partitions, migrate to an SSD, and so on.

http://www.partition-tool.com/produc...V_UaAnqs8P8HAQ

Something else I would recommend to anyone, but in particular a laptop user as laptops can be lost, is to have a good external drive with a duplicate setup of the main computer partitions. Stay away though from 2.5" external drives and buy a good USB 3.5" enclosure that is ventilated and with a cooling fan. Buy a 3.5" mechanical drive of capacity at least equal if not larger to the one in the computer. [Recommendation: Western Digital Blue 1TB, about $60) Run the external drive only when backing up and it will last forever and also be protected from viruses and lighting strikes. < After the family and pets, grab this next in case of Fire!

Sorry to ramble on, but painful experience has taught me that setting up a good filing system saves many hours of frustration and file loss later.

Alan Caro

JPL_Whole_NE to SW_ M Hi_9.4.14.jpg

HP z420 (2014) > Xeon E5-1620 quad core @ 3.6 / 3.8GHz > 24GB DDR3 ECC 1600 RAM > Quadro 4000 (2GB)> Samsung 840 SSD 250GB /Western Digital Black WD1003FZEX 1TB> M-Audio 192 sound card > AE3000 USB WiFi > HP 2711X, 27" 1920 X 1080 > Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Dell Precision T5400 (2008) > 2X Xeon X5460 quad core @3.16GHz > 16GB DDR2 ECC 667> Quadro FX 4800 (1.5GB) > WD RE4 500GB / Seagate Barracuda 500GB > M-Audio 2496 Sound Card / Linksys 600N WiFi > Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit >

2D, 3D CAD, Image Processing, Rendering, Text > Architecture, industrial design, graphic design, written projects
    Last edited by Alan Caro; 10-15-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks for the time to post.
    - Rick Dale

All my receipts are from online sources, and are emailed. I just save all the messages in a saved folder. I can go back many years, and pull any one of them up with a search.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night