Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Planning the next build

Nope, we are not saying the same thing. Daniel wants you to plane the whole sides to fit the curve. I want you to hang normal boxes in a lattice with a front that follows the curved sides only where the drawer front meets the sides. You can make the front from a single piece by doing half blinds into a rabbet or with an applied front on a straightforward through DT box. The latter would like make side runners easier to make too.

~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Hi Sean

You are correct. I misunderstood your suggestion. I must not reply late at night when tired.

It was actually the post of Kees that I was thinking of ...

If I had to make such drawers I would make them oversized and then plane to fit. It doesn't look like the sides are very concave, just a couple of mm's. The ones at the top and bottom could be made tapered and then the very little bit of concavenes planed into the side.
    This option was one that had occurred to me also, but I was hoping to hear of another way to fit the drawers to the carcase. As I mentioned earlier, I do not wish to use runners (yours looks better than good, but I am dedicated to creating drawers that fit an opening. The construction of the sides will help here. I envisage a frame-and-panel construction with a 3/16" - 1/4" thick panel that slides into a groove in a curved frame. Inside there will be braces that stiffen and deaden the panel and also are a base for the drawers to run along.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I would think it easiest to set the curve of the sides and use that as a jig to laminate the drawer sides along that curve. That way they are as near to exact as possible.

Even with a slight curve I'd still use three pieces laminated together.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I am dedicated to creating drawers that fit an opening.
    I typically aspire to that too. ;-) <chuckle>

As for no runners, I have made such drawers many times. With small drawers, a nice piston fit arrangement works out pretty well, but with larger drawers, the best action, by far, is with runners. Even small drawers are sweeter to use with runners.

I have a high end modern Stickley set of night stands with several drawers. They not only have side runners, but a center guide runner underneath. Top shelf action. Worth it for refined heirloom work.

YMMV
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Will Mdme. Cohen be able to peer into the top drawer?

Thinking about a chest of drawers with so many complex angles
    calls to mind commentary about homesteaders in Alaska.

"While I admire their tenacious spirit, I question their foresight."

Well Said:
    "While I admire their tenacious spirit, I question their foresight."[/QUOTE]

Regardless, I look forward to the build!

If Derek is going to build it (anything), I will follow his build.