Thread: Column-mounted fence V2

Column-mounted fence V2

Well, I posted my previous attempt (which worked okay) but then I decided there was too much room for improvement, so here is my column-mounted fence V2.

The entire point of this is, I can move my table anywhere within range without throwing off my fence or the stop block on the fence. So if I'm drilling the edges of a 8" x 10" rectangular board (for instance) I can set the fence and stop block and drill holes in all four edges of the workpiece just by adjusting the table height.

There are a few things I might refine here and there but it works amazingly well. Very rigid.

Here are two pics, V1 (with single t-track) and V2 (with dual t-track).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you, Phil, I am going to steal your idea. Very nice. Would you please show more pictures .
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Thank you, Phil, I am going to steal your idea. Very nice. Would you please show more pictures .
    Ed.
    Sure, I'll upload some tomorrow.

Cool Set up! Thanks for sharing. At first I thought why would you not just tie it to the table, but now I see said the blind man. Cheers!

I like that setup, Phil! Very nice....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice idea, Phil!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

That's a reasonably well proven principle Phil, but not used in our context. There's a company that offers a machine vise that mounts to the column of light milling or drilling machines using a split clamp and bar like that. It sidesteps many of the issues involved in trying to precisely locate the workholding device when clamping it down in the normal way. Guarantees that the work won't rotate or whatever either.

It should really short circuit much of fiddling about in getting the fence and stops lined up. Clamp the work to it, position the stop accordingly and then move it about until it's centred under the drill.

Today I broke the head of a #2 x 1/2" (that is tiny) brass screw off on a project (forgot to wax the threads). This fence made removing that screw insanely simple.

Thank you column-mounted fence.