Thread: 3520B Remote Switch

3520B Remote Switch

Last week I started having trouble using the stock remote switch and then it died completely. Got PM to send me a new one under warranty and put in on today and life is good once again.

I had know this might become an issue at some point from reading a few reviews and posts from a couple years back when I bought this machine 11 months ago. Re-did a few searches and came across this explanation of how to fix it.

http://www.stevepritchardwoodturning...icRmtSwtch.php

I had been blowing off the remote and even would take the plastic housing apart and blow it out. After reading the above link I decided to take the old switch completely apart as shown and couldn't believe how much dirt and grime had gotten trapped inside where the "rockers" make contact. No wonder the switch didn't work. Now I got 2 remotes that work so I don't need to wait on PM to send one. One on these days I fix it for good with a dust proof remote that incorporates the speed dial + on/off + forward/reverse but for now life is back to normal.

in case you haven't seen it, there is an article at the AAW forum.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-06-2014 at 5:30 PM. Reason: removed link to other forum which violates TOSs

Thanks Shawn, I did see that and that's what I'm going to do............eventually!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-06-2014 at 5:31 PM. Reason: removed quote

Just a reminder, links to other forums are not allowed per the Terms of Service at SMC.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

David,
    After I found that dust adversely affected the remote switch, I took a sturdy plastic bag and covered the whole thing. The magnet works through the bag and the switch is operable with the bag in place. I never had the problem again.
    faust

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    David,After I found that dust adversely affected the remote switch, I took a sturdy plastic bag and covered the whole thing. The magnet works through the bag and the switch is operable with the bag in place. I never had the problem again.faust
    Faust,That's what I've done in the meantime. On a side note, this second remote has a much stronger set of magnets in it than the original. Even holds well on the curvature of the bed or the legs and it's actually kind of hard to get off of a flat spot. Noticeable difference between the two.