Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else worried about Ebola?

Anyone else worried about Ebola?

Just today:
    • The number of new cases being diagnosed in west Africa has doubled in the past two weeks
    • A nurse in Spain, contacted Ebola from a priest who died in Spanish hospital

Also

• Dallas situation seems out of control
    • Dallas victim from Liberia has gotten worse rather than better now that he is being treated, finally
    • All the experts are saying basically that we shouldn't worry

I'm more worried everyday that this thing will go from 1 case in USA to 100 within couple weeks

Too much travel freedom, too long of a incubation period, not a positive early detection method, not an effective treatment plan for lots of victims, etc.

Anyone else worried?

You have far more to fear from the anti-vax nutters.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Or meteorites...

Not even remotely. If it was airborne, then I would be fretting. Ive never had a blood or fluid borne disease, even afterworking in a kitchen. So I dont give it a seconds thought. My wife, on the other hand....
    Paul

i
    have doubt that they really understand its transmission. For example - how can they be SURE that it is not airborn? I just think they are over-selling their knowledge.

Lets assume though, that you are not worried. I can appreciate that. What will it take to make you worried?

What I found interesting was the report that even the agencies in Africa state that any individual showing symptoms could simply take a handful of tylenol and get past the fever checks at the airports. Its hard to tell how many people are just wanting to get out of the region at any cost and in a rash of poor judgement are taking their, and others, lives into their own hands.

Sure they understand it. Other, more robust strains *may* have been airborne. Its a matter of how robust it is. Like the way AIDS isnt robust, so it must be transferred by fluids. So I dont worry. It will take a lot more than a controlled illness in Dallas to start freaking out.
    Paul

Something is different this time around. I have some theories but will keep them to myself for now.

I'm not buying into the "you have nothing to worry about."

I'm not obsessing about it, but I'm certainly not dismissive about it, either.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Its a matter of how robust it is. Like the way AIDS isnt robust, so it must be transferred by fluids.
    35-million people in the world now infected with AIDS, it is the #1 infectious killer world-wide, with approx. 36 million dead.

And Ebola is much more contagious than AIDS.

They say it isn't airborne, but there are some unexplained items at this time. Like how does a camera man for NBC get it? How many camera men you know they get bodily fluids on them when filming about deadly viruses? Maybe he did something that caused it, and that's very possible, but someone's got some explaining to do. Maybe to start, they could explain how they said there wasn't anything to worry about and then 5 days later took over that guys apartment complex all suited in Hazmat gear, full tilt.

Right now, their actions don't match their words. What's that mean? I have no idea. Not too worried about it, but paying attention to it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I'm not dismissive, I'm just not worried. Ebola symptoms cant be abated by a handful of tyenol, either so getting on a plane with it would be no simple matter. If it hasn't killed or at least infected all of subSaharan Africa, it clearly is not as infectious as even AIDS. Being alarmist doesnt help anything. Hey, I'm not an epidemiologist, so who cares what I think?

But remember a health professional descibed Ebola as the "Kardashian of diseases" because it gets way more attention than it deserves or merits.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 10-06-2014 at 8:52 PM.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    I'm not dismissive, I'm just not worried. Ebola symptoms cant be abated by a handful of tyenol, either so getting on a plane with it would be no simple matter. If it hasn't killed or at least infected all of subSaharan Africa, it clearly is not as infectious as even AIDS. Being alarmist doesnt help anything. Hey, I'm not an epidemiologist, so who cares what I think?

But remember a health professional descibed Ebola as the "Kardashian of diseases" because it gets way more attention than it deserves or merits.
    I dont think anyone is saying that a handful of tylenol will take away all the symptoms but rather the only definitive check the airlines have is fever. Any fever reducer would get someone with minimal/initial symptoms past any preliminary checks. Anyone screening airline passengers is not going to be expected to be an epidemiologist. They will simply have a series of go-no go checks. At this point it seems in the hot zone a detectable fever is the only "no go" for getting on a plane.

That is one aspect that makes you wonder. The other is that they rely a lot on someone filling out a form truthfully. How will they know if the answers are truthful. Seems very very risky. I wish they could just take a quick blood draw, run a quick test and say with positivity that you are clean or infected.

Ebola also immobilizes most of it's carriers, before they can contact many people.

This is a crippling disease that very quickly incapacitates the victim.
    It's readily preventable, with simple sanitary precautions.

It's more a threat to the Indian Peninsula and South east Asia
    than North America.

It's prevalent near the Ebola river, where clean water is a luxury.

While it's outrageous that someone was permitted to travel out of Liberia,
    after assisting a known Ebola victim, you can bet the travel restrictions
    are coming. This disease flares, and each time it retreats to the
    fauna that it doesn't kill, in the jungle.

What we can hope for is food aid to the places where people depend on "bush meat",
    but it's likely to lead to intentional deforestation to eradicate the vector.

http://www.popsci.com/article/scienc...ou-might-think

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    i
    have doubt that they really understand its transmission. For example - how can they be SURE that it is not airborn? I just think they are over-selling their knowledge.

Lets assume though, that you are not worried. I can appreciate that. What will it take to make you worried?
    If it was aerosol, all of those people in the slums would be dead. They live too close to each other and there's apparently a lot of misinformation going on in the zones with a lot of ebola. If this were influenza or something, it would be far more severe.

It's not that contagious compared to some things, even though it's very infectious once you have it.