Thread: Indian Basket from Maple

Indian Basket from Maple

This is my second basket of this design. It is called a Wedding Basket and originated with the Navajo. Yes the opening in the design is supposed to be there. The opening should always point to the East. There are many listing on the web about the reason for the opening. This piece is made from 8/4 hard maple and about 12" in diameter. Along with Robert McGowen I took a class last July with Jim Adkins. We had a lot of fun and an enjoyable time together. Comments welcome.

DSCN4505.jpgDSCN4508.jpgDSCN4506.jpg

Very impressive work Steve! Must have been one heck of a class as both you and Robert have posted some beautiful work!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Mind boggling of how you did it. Looks like a lot of work...Looks great..

Great looking piece, I love the rim.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Outstanding work, about how long did it take to complete after turning.
    Rex

Is Jim teaching any future classes? I've searched the web, but haven't found anything.

Greg

good stuff , Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McClurg View Post
    Is Jim teaching any future classes? I've searched the web, but haven't found anything.

Greg
    I think he might be considering Mountain View, Arkansas again next summer but I certainly have not been told his plans.

Rex,
    I don't keep track. The class was four days and we worked 8-9 hours each day except for the last day. I came away with two 9 inch pieces that were not complete, I enjoyed the whole time and it was a great class. I am probably a little faster now with practice but it still takes a lot of time, there is no way to burn each line "fast". Hope that kind of answers your question.
    Last edited by Steve Mawson; 10-07-2014 at 8:51 PM.

I found this an intricate wood project! But you've executed it perfectly. Well done.

Wow Steve, that's pretty impressive. Beautiful bowl. Very nicely done.

Doug

Steve, did you have any problems in getting the flat fish scale pen to burn the pattern on the beads? I have left numerous messages with Detail Master and they have never returned any of my calls. I spoke to Jim Adkins a few days ago and he said that he has encountered the same problem and is very concerned that things might not be going well at Detail Master. Their answering machine says that they have changed their name from Leisure Time Industries to DMPS. Could this mean that they have a new owner?
    Bill

Fantastic job Steve! Both you and Robert are doing these beautifully. I imagine your teacher is proud of both of you.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.