Thread: Woodworkersclub.com? Anybody familiar with these guys?

Woodworkersclub.com? Anybody familiar with these guys?

Just stumbled across this place not too far from my house. Just curious if any of you guys have ever come across this shop / club. Looks legit / fun. Thinking of joining.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-07-2014 at 7:20 AM.

Never heard of that company, but of other similar coops/clubs. If you would use it regularly, $115/month for 12 months seems ok if their tools are good quality, well maintained and of sufficient variety. I didnt catch whether that bought you "unlimited" shop time or a fixed number of hours. That $300 "certification" fee is irksome, but I do understand the need from an insurance standpoint.

The other side to consider is how much woodworking do you want to do? $1300/year adds up, and in two years you could buy several basic shop tools used, if not new. (In fact, in one year you could have a tolerable table saw, a drill press and clamps if you buy used.) If you have shop space.

Let us know what you decide and what you think if you try it out.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-07-2014 at 7:22 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

This could make sense under certain circumstances. If someone lived somewhere like New York City where space for a workshop would be exorbitantly expensive or knew they were going to be moving frequently this might be a good solution. There may be a social benefit as well but it seems like it'd get kinda expensive long term.

I've been there because they are affiliated with Woodcraft and had somethings that the Springfield story didn't have. Didn't go into the shop just the store. At one time I had considered getting a membership just for the hands on before I invested into this hobby. Changed my mind because the trip to Rockville is tough from where I'm at. If you live close and don't have the room or just want some hands on with other WWers might not be a bad deal.

BTW Jay adding your location might be helpful to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    I've been there because they are affiliated with Woodcraft and had somethings that the Springfield story didn't have. Didn't go into the shop just the store. At one time I had considered getting a membership just for the hands on before I invested into this hobby. Changed my mind because the trip to Rockville is tough from where I'm at. If you live close and don't have the room or just want some hands on with other WWers might not be a bad deal.

BTW Jay adding your location might be helpful to everyone.

Done. I'm outside DC.

It has been there for quite a while. I recognize many of the names of the instructors and know that they are very good. I would sign up if I lived anywhere nearby. It's a long commute from LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    It has been there for quite a while. I recognize many of the names of the instructors and know that they are very good. I would sign up if I lived anywhere nearby. It's a long commute from LA.
    Thanks. I'm sold.

Jay, It is in the back of the Rockville Woodcraft. I have taken a few classes but currently do not partake in the club portion. I believe I will be doing that this winter though. It is a well equipped shop and the people seem nice. Every time I have been by it looks like there is plenty of bench space and not crowded so no waiting for equipment. Like I said I did take the foundation class that I think they require before you sing up. Thanks, John...

Just as a reality check, you might want to compare the facility with the DC/Arlington Techshop, since the fees are comparable.

I'm a member of that Techshop, and I really like having access to equipment I could never afford ($400K CNC waterjet), that would never fit in my house (4' x 8' CNC Shopbot), that I don't have the electrical panel to support (big TIG/MIGs), or could otherwise never justify to fool around with (laser engravers, 3D printers, injection molders). But... having access to a coop shop has some downsides too--I can spend 15 min. in my woodshop because it is a flight of stairs away. But I usually have to sort of "plan" time to get to the Techshop, even thought it is only a 10 min. drive from me. It doesn't seem worth it unless I can get a couple hours in at least, which means I don't do it as often. Also, be prepared for things to break, consumables to be consumed, and sharp things to become dull. Not everyone treats communal equipment the way I treat the machines in my woodshop. When I use the TechShop metal shop, I've learned to bring my own cutting bits for the lathe, my own end mills, and the like.

Eric, those sound like some neat toys to have acess to. Of course you'd still need to know how to use 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Just as a reality check, you might want to compare the facility with the DC/Arlington Techshop, since the fees are comparable.

I'm a member of that Techshop, and I really like having access to equipment I could never afford ($400K CNC waterjet), that would never fit in my house (4' x 8' CNC Shopbot), that I don't have the electrical panel to support (big TIG/MIGs), or could otherwise never justify to fool around with (laser engravers, 3D printers, injection molders). But... having access to a coop shop has some downsides too--I can spend 15 min. in my woodshop because it is a flight of stairs away. But I usually have to sort of "plan" time to get to the Techshop, even thought it is only a 10 min. drive from me. It doesn't seem worth it unless I can get a couple hours in at least, which means I don't do it as often. Also, be prepared for things to break, consumables to be consumed, and sharp things to become dull. Not everyone treats communal equipment the way I treat the machines in my woodshop. When I use the TechShop metal shop, I've learned to bring my own cutting bits for the lathe, my own end mills, and the like.

Yeah, tech shop is great, but it's a bit too far from where I live. I am in Gaithersburg, so the WWC is a 10 minute drive from me.

They offer short classes for pretty reasonable rates on everything. You generally have to take a safety & basic use course to use the equipment that is enough to get you started anyway. Most of the stuff--metal lathes, milling, TIG--is just practice, and they have consultants wandering around if you need advice. Take the metal lathe--there was a basic class to get started, but they have also offered classes in workholding, grinding your own bits, and knurling/threading.