Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange Dots outside of engraving area

If your machine has a test button that allows you to hold it in and trigger a burn while the head is not moving, then place a piece of thick card or MDF about 6 inches below the nozzle. Hold the test button for at least 5 seconds. You should end up burning a largish hole through the material but, if the small dots were caused by any form of optical scatter, then these spots would also be visible. This is a way of differentiating between spots caused by optics and spots caused by random or badly times firing. Hope that it is optics because that is generally easier to fix than random firing. my previous issues with random firing were caused by static build up. My newer generation controller boards do seam to be more immune.

Regards,

Still having the issue. Seemed to resolve itself for a bit, but pops up randomly
    Legacy lasers 1100 series 80 wattTrotec 25 watt speedy 1 (10 years old)2 champion 1900 table engravers.UScutter 24" Laser plotter

Blog Entries
    Just so we're chasing down the right tree... this is an electrical issue, not physical (i.e., don't worry about lens cleanliness, etc.). Something is making the tube fire. This is an ideal spot for someone with an oscilloscope... let you know if it's being commanded to fire (something in the control pathway) or if it's firing on its own (think more towards the tickle end of things... overexcited tube, etc.).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Just so we're chasing down the right tree... this is an electrical issue, not physical (i.e., don't worry about lens cleanliness, etc.). Something is making the tube fire. This is an ideal spot for someone with an oscilloscope... let you know if it's being commanded to fire (something in the control pathway) or if it's firing on its own (think more towards the tickle end of things... overexcited tube, etc.).
    Thanks dan. To my understanding though, Chinese laser systems do not have a tickle adjustment. I'm not sure where to look otherwise, the power supply looks fine. Could this be a sign of my tube going bad maybe? I had also thought to change out the fuse that's in the back where it plugs in?
    Legacy lasers 1100 series 80 wattTrotec 25 watt speedy 1 (10 years old)2 champion 1900 table engravers.UScutter 24" Laser plotter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ashlin View Post
    Thanks dan. To my understanding though, Chinese laser systems do not have a tickle adjustment. I'm not sure where to look otherwise, the power supply looks fine. Could this be a sign of my tube going bad maybe? I had also thought to change out the fuse that's in the back where it plugs in?
    I would suspect the power supply first if nothing else seems obvious... if internal regulation is going, it could be raising the output voltage enough to cause what amounts to an increased tickle (random lasing).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

If it helps narrow down the problem, running at lesser power seems to resolve the issue. The dots are also not at full power, as I was running some flasks with cermark at 100 power and the dots appeared, but washed off with the cermark while the rest of the design remained.