Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iGaging double ruler

iGaging double ruler

Just found a very similar design from iGaging double ruler.
    http://www.igaging.com/page12.html
    http://www.amazon.com/iGaging-4-Prec.../dp/B008DD1ACI

Looks a lot like Lee Valley double ruler.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,44279&p=44279

I own the LV double ruler. It is square. I used a knife line to check for squareness. I am not sure on iGaging ruler

The LV ruler is probably made by PEC, and i'd imagine the little details are probably a bit cleaner on it (plus it's made in the US).

The igaging ruler is probably chinese, indian, or if lucky, taiwanese. I'd bet that on average, the action of the thing (fit, how well it slides, etc) is probably not quite as good, but I'm sure we can woodwork with it (I have some sort of chinese square, as well as a couple of PECs, among other things - the chinese double square is sort of coarsely made, but it works fine).

As far as the straightness spec, it's given as a thou an inch or slightly less. On a 6 inch rule, you could get unlucky with something like that. The LV rule may be practically the same spec, but as a domestic product, I'd place money on it still being better.

FWIW, the local rockler store's squares and stuff are at high prices, and they often go on sale for half off or whatever, but they are the chinese type.

http://www.rockler.com/igaging-6-precision-combo-square

They are soft and coarsely made. you can get a sense for it in the picture, but they're doubly uninspiring in person.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 10-07-2014 at 12:02 PM.

I think you are right on the PEC. The ruler marking looks like PEC. Good to know that PEC made it.
    Was a bit upset if iGaging was the manufacturer. Thanks for the correction! PEC is the maker.

As a general rule, LV doesn't have too many gotchas (I guess I'm not aware of any). If something looks significantly cheaper anywhere else, it's probably because there is an eastern origin copy of something where LV sells the real mccoy.

I have a 4" Starrett double square and a 12" combination that I use all the time. Both are dead on square and both cost dearly. However the year old 4" double is simply not the same quality as the 15 year old 12" combo. The 12" moves smoothly and just oozes precision and quality. My 4" double works OK but it's not in the same class.

I want to get a 6" double square and I think I'm going to go with the PEC or the LV version.

FWIW - I've read of people using one "trusted" square to check other squares. I never check one against another. I check a square with very fine pencil lines or knife lines by flipping the square and comparing the lines. I use a piece of jointed scrap. Fast, free and accurate.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I am okay with the LV version. It is definitely worthwhile having one.
    It locks and slides well.

I have both 6" and 4" iGaging squares purchased in 2012. I also recently bought a new 12" Starrett combination square.

It is like comparing a Pinto with a Cadillac. Both iGaging squares have very sticky screw that is easy to tighten, but takes considerable force to unlock. The screw movement feels a bit "grindy" in action, like there is grime on threads. In contrast, Starrett is smooth and easy to engage and disengage.

While sliding the ruler, iGaging is sticky and uneven. I think it is because the channel in the center is not smooth - it has visible milling marks, unlike on Starrett.

iGaging has a lot more side-to-side play. It goes away when screw is tightened, but all these factors combine so that it is hard to keep iGaging in almost-tightened state to allow you to nudge it a bit (like when using it to measure or mark depth), and then cinch it down without further disturbance. This is a lot easier on the Starrett.

On the plus side, iGaging squares are square and writing is easily legible. On balance, I would not recommend one even taking price difference in account, considering this is a tool you are likely using many times in a typical workshop session. It should work without causing you to accommodate its quirks all the time. If it was a rarely used tool, I would accept this kind of a tradeoff. I will be buying a small Starrett square soon.

I don't know anything about PEC / LV squares.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Milisavljevic View Post
    I don't know anything about PEC / LV squares.
    PEC falls solidly between. On the bigger squares, sometimes the fit stuff looks a little funny, but they operate smoothly and do what they should, and they have a much better finish than the chinese stuff. In my opinion, the prices for all of them are in line for what they are.

I'd agree with George, though, that if one is to go with a starrett square, they should spend the money to get a hardened head to make sure it's accurate forever.

Check out Harry Epstein's web site. He has a good supply of pec squares that are seconds for cosmetic reasons. I have a double 4" and it is a fine tool

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Milisavljevic View Post
    Both iGaging squares have very sticky screw that is easy to tighten, but takes considerable force to unlock. The screw movement feels a bit "grindy" in action, like there is grime on threads. While sliding the ruler, iGaging is sticky and uneven. I think it is because the channel in the center is not smooth.

On the plus side, iGaging squares are square and writing is easily legible. On balance, I would not recommend one even taking price difference in account, considering this is a tool you are likely using many times in a typical workshop session.

Marko's experience matches mine exactly. I wouldnt buy this tool again.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    The LV ruler is probably made by PEC, and i'd imagine the little details are probably a bit cleaner on it (plus it's made in the US).

http://www.rockler.com/igaging-6-precision-combo-square

They are soft and coarsely made. you can get a sense for it in the picture, but they're doubly uninspiring in person.
    Wow, that is one ugly square. Looks like you can pick up a Starrett 12" combo with protractor & center heads for around $100 on ebay. I don't remember what I paid for mine (new) ten years ago. If I was looking today, I'd go for the used Starrett over an new iGaging. I also have the LV 4" double square (also about 10 yrs old), and it seems pretty nice to me -- smooth & accurate

I bought a combination square at Rockler once and tried it in the car and couldn't get the rule to move back and forth w/o applying considerable force. I took it back into the store and said it was hard to slide the rule. The guy rolled his eyes and pushed the rule like "this is going to be easy, I'm going to make this guy look like an idiot."

He pushed harder, and harder, and then the rule jumped all the way to the opposite extreme.

They got another one out, it was the same way.

So they told me I just needed to lap the rules.

I returned it and found a Starrett on eBay.

I did subsequently purchased a 6" import combination square on eBay for about $10 w/ shipping. It wasn't square but I adjusted it with a diamond file and got it bang-on. So the 6" is my daily driver and I only use the Starrett when I need a larger square.

The Rockler, BTW, wasn't that inexpensive, I think they charged $50 or something for the thing back then.

At least the eBay unit for $10 was price according to the accuracy.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 10-07-2014 at 8:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moser View Post
    Wow, that is one ugly square. Looks like you can pick up a Starrett 12" combo with protractor & center heads for around $100 on ebay. I don't remember what I paid for mine (new) ten years ago. If I was looking today, I'd go for the used Starrett over an new iGaging. I also have the LV 4" double square (also about 10 yrs old), and it seems pretty nice to me -- smooth & accurate
    I agree. The went with the Starrett w/ the steel head and I got two rules for $100ish. The cheap $10 import I got looks quite a bit nicer than that Rockler/iGagging unit.

Must say that I'm another that's been through the hoops on combo square sets and Ts - and badly misled by a blase mag review of the mid range versions of these tools which seemed to more or less say they are all the same. No doubt some are fine, but judging by my experience there's a high incidence of faults in the lower cost supposedly professional quality items.

We don't get PET here (at least I didn't see it), and buying locally wasn't an option for me for anything except $10 aluminium junk. I bought and had to pay mailing to return three different cast iron sets that were faulty to mail order suppliers in the UK. One was mitutoyo which used to be excellent - but it seems they had just moved production to a low cost location. Various issues spread over the three - heat treatment problems leading to distortion and failure of the securing studs, high friction as Phil, inaccuracies/bad fits, and poorly machined rule seats which were likely to wear quickly etc.

I bit the bullet and bought cast Starrett stuff in the end, and have to say I've been very happy. The quality of even that possibly isn't what it was years ago - but between feel and accuracy it's a world different to the cheaper options. I ended up paying out more than the difference in shipping back the returns to get to that point unfortunately.

Guess it's different if there's stockists all around you of the different brands, and you can handle the goods before buying/on leaving the premises. You're at least less likely to be at a significant cost disadvantage if you happen to get a dodgy example.....
    Last edited by ian maybury; 10-09-2014 at 7:30 AM.

Here is the link for Harry Epstein

http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/Pro...g/7104-4R.html