Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A workshop being completed

Google brooder heat lamp fixtures. You can use them and get light and warmth for the same power expense.
    For years I've used 250 watt incandescent heat lamps for heating and lighting. I have some fluorescents too for warm days. I'm about an hour east of Portland Oregon so it's usually 40F outside all winter but this week it's been 15F.

I use 8 heat lamps above my benches. My shop is 20x30 with 11' ceilings and uninsulated. When it's 40F outside,it gets 70F to 80F around the bench area's in less than an hour. Then I turn off every other lamp and it stays around 65F. At 10F outside I have had up to 20 heatlamps on and it gets above 60F in the whole shop.

The corners of the shop stay cool but that's where I'm most active and need less heat. The heat is mostly for glue drying and comfort at the benches. You will want to wear a cap if you stand directly under a lamp to long,the 250's get real hot if your close.

An added plus is the heat lamps last much longer than standard incandescents and you get light and heat for the same dollar. Another thing I like is all the cast iron tops are warm. It's a nice color light too, I like it more than fluorescents alone.

Last winter I used less 250 watt heat lamps. I've used more plain 90 or 75 watt
    incandescents spread out. They provide more even heat and light,but not the intense quick heat of the 250's.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Addressing the heating, or better to say controlling the inside climate is really why I have configured this workshop as it is, sectioning off a space apart and properly insulated where the workbench will stand and I will also most of my time spent there. In that place I have a radiator hooked up to the boiler fired by the wood burning central heating unit that also warms the house. In the big room where machines are, a cold temperature becomes more of an inconvenience that I can live with. I choose not to heat the entire barn space at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    She said it was Norm Abram's shop
    I'd like to see Norm's shop. The one on TV belongs to Russell Morash, I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    Norm's shop.
    I don't know Norm. Anyone got that thread?

Quote Originally Posted by ernest dubois View Post
    I don't know Norm. Anyone got that thread?
    New Yankee Workshop?