Thread: Mortar & Pestal

Mortar & Pestal

Looking to turn a mortar & pestal from mesquite for my wife. Question is, what is a good finish for it that will hold up? I have a paste of beeswax, 100% natural tung oil, and 100% natural walnut oil mixed up already. Would that be sufficient enough?

I don't think that I would use wood to make a mortar and pestle - unless it just for decoration.

traditionally they are ceramic

in Mexico, they have something similar called a "molcajete" - which is made from stone.

I made a decorative one and finished it with Wood Turner's Finish. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tle&highlight= We have one made of marble we use to grind up cat medicine. That said, I would think if the intent is to use it for spices, mesquite should hold up for quite awhile. All of the finishes you listed can be refreshed easily if they start to show signs of wear, just as one would oil a butcher block counter top used for baking. I say go for it. Worst case, you have to make it again or go out and buy one. Have fun.
    Last edited by Doug Herzberg; 10-08-2014 at 8:17 PM.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

If it is for use, I think I would not finish the inside of the the mortar or the end of the pextle. (is that the right parts?) Anyway, the grinding of the msterial would be impaired by the finish, you need some roughness to do the grinding. I know the ceramic mortar and pestle I have is not glazed in the area where the grinding occurs, and is left rough. I assume that is the reason for not glazing that area.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I was just looking into making a mortar and pestle myself, there are a number of good articles, do a google search and you'll find them.

For finish, I would stick with something all-natural like plain mineral oil.

You also might consider turning it in end grain as that will be more durable.

A long time ago I had a young male bench chemist who was assigned to grind water formed deposits in a mortar and pestle. He constantly complained that the pestle did not fit his hand. So I took a rather large pestle home, removed the wooden handle and turned and carved a Phallic handle for it. The next morning I ceremoniously presented it to him to the great enjoyment of the lab staff. He never complained again.

It will be mainly used for herbs/spices and softer items, such as garlic for example. Gonna go ahead and give it a go. Worst case, I have to make another for show and buy one for use.

I made one from hard maple, finished the outside with woodturners finish, left the inside alone - just sanded it to 600+. The other part i just sanded out with no finish.

My friend uses it for spices/herbs all the time.