Thread: dough bowl carving tools

dough bowl carving tools

I have been asked to carve a dough bowl and am looking for some advise on tools. Im sure it would be easier to carve out the center with a adz but that tool really isn't in the tool budget at the moment and since im not sure how many I will end up doing Im looking just to do it with some gouges does anybody have a good recommendation for a couple that will fit the bill. I have a good video that shows the steps. I guessing a couple relatively wide gouges with a slight sweep would fix the bill but before I pull the trigger I figured I would ask the question here.

In my opinion, the best carving gouges for dough bowls are the ones made by Hans Karlsson and sold by Drew Langsner at Country Workshops. For a little less money, the Log Notch Gouge sold by Lee Valley is also very good.

I know you didn't ask and may have already figure this out, but hollowing a dough bowl with a gouge will take a long time. If you don't want to spend the money on an adze, I would suggest using a hand axe (hatchet) to remove as much of the material as possible. Alternately, drilling a bunch of holes (like the chair makers do to hollow seats) can help. If power tools are an option, an angle grinder with a carbide wheel (like the Kutzall) will make the job a lot easier, albeit with lots of sawdust all over the place.

Steve

Plus one to what Steve said- it would take a long time to gouge the whole thing, and the bigger the gouge, the harder it is. Basically it's all end-grain cuts - the long grain usually splits on its own as you cut down, so you really have to work hard to move a wide blade through even green poplar (need a big mallet and a strong chisel). You don't need an adze for starters; as Steve mentions, a hatchet works fine in tandem with chisels. you start in the center of the face of the log and cut a v-notch, then continue making it as wide and deep as you need, then you only use the gouges to shape the ends and smooth the bottom. Roy Underhill's first or second Woodwright book shows exactly how to do this, and I've had success with it when wanting to remove waste more quickly than with my small-ish adze. The gouges I use are the deepest two from the Pfiel "scupltor's set" - i don't have them handy to tell the sizes, but you should be able to look them up.

Karl

thanks guys I do plan on doing what I can on the inside with a hatchet I have ordered a Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet I have heard good reviews about them . I know a carvers hatchet should be flat on one side but I think I can get by. karl I will look up the numbers for pfiels chisels I would love to have hans chisels but since I don't think I will be doing a lot of them I want to keep the tools cost low as possible but tying not to sacrifice quality to much

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    In my opinion, the best carving gouges for dough bowls are the ones made by Hans Karlsson and sold by Drew Langsner at Country Workshops.
    I agree 100%. I have several Hans Karlsson tools. The problem is getting them, Drew can't keep them in stock. To carve a dough bowl without an adze is a lot of work. Even if you use a hatchet. It can be done. Get the widest bent gouges you can. I use both Pfeil and Karlsson gouges, I prefer the ones from Karlsson. The ones I use the most is 35 mm 90 sweep from Karlsson, and the 5/35 from Pfeil. The Pfeil 5/35 is a straight gouge. The only thing I would suggests wear a good glove. Most of my gouge work is parring, after I use an adze. You will get blisters. What kind of wood are you planning on using? After you carve your first, there will be more.

this is gonna sound crazy and im sure I have my work cut out for me I have a cherry limb that has fallen on the property and im going to try to make it out of that. im sure there are better choices for this type of work but its what is handy.I have no doubt that I have my work cut out for me there is always the power tool option but in drawn to Doing things the "Old Fashion Way" if it works out maybe I can up grade tools in the future .

Cherry is good. I have made some smaller bowls out of cherry. If you have enough wood, you could carve some matching spoons. There are some good videos on you tube. I watched some videos by David Fisher, when I was learning. He goes by DFbowlcarver.

Davids videos are good infact there what started this whole do it by hand adventure . Once I get the gouges I should look into a draw knife to ... why is it the tool list is seemingly never-ending....

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Culver View Post
    Davids videos are good infact there what started this whole do it by hand adventure . Once I get the gouges I should look into a draw knife to ... why is it the tool list is seemingly never-ending....
    I was surprised how much I use a draw knife, once I got one. Never knew what I was missing. It's a very useful tool.