Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bandsaw not working!

New bandsaw not working!

Just took delivery today of the Jet 14DXPro bandsaw. Beautiful packaging, no damage, saw looks great. Spent a couple of hours assembling, adjusting, cleaning, leveling, all the regular stuff. Even touched up the paint in a couple of spots on the cast iron frame where it wasn't totally covering from their spray booth.

Plugged it in (outlet works, I checked), hit the green start button, and nothing. Not a sound. No loose wires in the switch connection, or in the place where the cord goes into the motor. Wired correctly for voltage, too.

This is extremely aggravating. I know, there are always going to be a few saws out of many that have some problem, and someone is going to get those saws and have to deal with it. I just wish it weren't me!

i wonder if I can get Jet to send me a fence or something for free for my troubles once we get this all sorted out!

Let us know how Jet responds. Good luck on getting a freebee out of them.

If it were me, I trace down the voltage through the switch to the motor. It's probably not the capacitor as you would probably hear a hum. My money's on a bad switch.

Did you check the safety switchs on the doors?
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

My mini has a red turn off button that you just push to turn off. You have to turn the red button and it pops out, then you can push the on button. but until you do the turn the red button, the turn on button will not work. safety switch. I know it is not same brand, just see if yours has something like that. " How do I know" I could not turn mine on either when I got it.

I had a motor issue with my Rikon when I first bought it and got a fence for my troubles... This was several years ago.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Is there a thermal reset button on the motor? Might give it a push just to be sure.

Sure sounds like a master kill switch or the door safety switch if it has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Sure sounds like a master kill switch or the door safety switch if it has them.
    My thoughts as well. Best of luck. I'm sure it's something simple.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I had the same issue with the same saw just a few weeks ago, it was just a bad switch. Jet sent a new one out right away, no issues.

Do you have a voltmeter to check the wire going from the switch to the motor?

I just got off the phone with Jet. They agree it sounds like the switch is the issue. They are sending a new one. Very frustrating, of course, because I really wanted the bandsaw this weekend to get some work done, but whatever. I hope this fixes it!

That's what I thought to. Hope everything will be okay.

How are the switch leads connected to the switch? You might be able to use it this weekend yet with a temp work around. 14DXpro does not sound like it would have any more than a simple 120V 20A rated DPST switch. Have a picture? We can sort you out.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    How are the switch leads connected to the switch? You might be able to use it this weekend yet with a temp work around. 14DXpro does not sound like it would have any more than a simple 120V 20A rated DPST switch. Have a picture? We can sort you out.
    Mike, it's a very basic switch. I could wire up a spare light switch I probably have laying around the garage for a temporary solution, and if it takes too long for the part to come, I might do that! In the meantime, I still have my old shaky bandsaw out there that I haven't sold yet, so I'm sure I'll survive.

(First world problems, right? Having to keep using your old bandsaw while you wait for the parts to your new bandsaw to come in...)

When yu get into machinery, be prepared for that type of stuff to happen. Even the high end stuff has problems occasionally. Electrical seems to be a common problem. I have a room full of parts for proof. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    When yu get into machinery, be prepared for that type of stuff to happen...
    +1 on this ^^^. Or, cosmetic freight damage: Nicks, dings, scratches, that sort of thing.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA