Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carter and Son Toolworks?

Carter and Son Toolworks?

I haven't seen any discussion here on the newish Carter and Son Tool works turning tools. Woodcraft just started carrying them and I got a chance to handle a few. The solid aluminum handles are much heavier than you'd expect and I like the shape of them.

I'm in the market for a 5/8" bowl gouge and a really like the profile on theirs. One problem I'm having though is that they are more expensive than Thompson or dway and probably less proven overall. Has anybody bought or turned with any of these tools?

Edit: sorry for the title typo. If I mod is able to fix that, I'd appreciate it.

I have used them once at a demo, and met with the family several times. They seem like very well made tools, and really nice people to work with. I'm still partial to Doug Thompson, but that is what I am used to. I think Carter and Son make a great product at a reasonable price, and I really like the family run atmosphere. "Son" is actually son and daughter, and they are about 12 and 15 if I am not mistaken. They do the majority of the selling, demonstrations, publicity, etc, and Dad oversees the manufacturing. It truly is a family organization.

Dan, I have the 1/2" and 5/8" Carter and Son bowl gouges. They work well. I find that my Thompson gouges hold an edge longer, but my old Crown PM bowl gouge does better than either one. I guess it's what you get used to. I do find them to be a little heavy for my tastes. Overall, a good tool. I got hooked by the one tool away from excellence syndromn(sp).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    Dan, I have the 1/2" and 5/8" Carter and Son bowl gouges. They work well. I find that my Thompson gouges hold an edge longer, but my old Crown PM bowl gouge does better than either one. I guess it's what you get used to. I do find them to be a little heavy for my tastes. Overall, a good tool. I got hooked by the one tool away from excellence syndromn(sp).
    Sounds like you've several tools to reach for. :-). I keep teaching for my 5/8 bowl gouge but there's none there to grab. :-/. Haha.

The only bowl gouge I use
    Now is a 1/2" crown which I do like.

Thanks.

I don't know about their tools, but I am glad to see another entry into the pantheon of turning tool makers. This is not the same Carter (Carter Products) that has been long known for their bandsaw add-ons and bought out the manufacturing rights to the deep hollowing tool that Bryan McIlvoy and Langer Craftworks made, and produces a good steady rest

According to their site the tools are M42 steel, and thus compare to D-Way tools which are also M42. M42 steel includes Molybdenum and Cobalt for toughness and wear resistance rather than the high Vanadium content of the steel used by Doug Thompson.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

If you guys like the Crown gouges, Lyle Jamieson has Doug Thompson make a 5/8" elliptical shaped bowl gouge for his private line of tools. It is V10 like all Thompson tools. I bought one at SWAT and like it very much.

I did a video review of the Carter & Son tools last spring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh-Q...ZUIVxdQ3UctGVw
    They are very impressive tools and they are sharp and ready to use right out of the package. The bowl gouge in particular held that factory edge through an incredible amount of cutting. The spindle gouges and skew also held their edges well but since my use of them was intermittent I couldn't "quantify" their edge holding compared to my other tools. The tool handles are well shaped and comfortable in the hand but might be a tad cold to the touch in the winter if you don't heat your shop. I did find that the large handle on the bowl gouge was just a touch narrow at the waist for my hands when using it for a left handed pull cut and that, coupled with the smooth, non-textured surface in that area, made it feel as though I was on the verge of letting the tool twist in my hands when taking a heavy cut on green wood where my hands were a bit wet. I wrapped that portion of the bowl gouge handle with a rubber grip tape and that completely solved that issue.

The handles on the bowl gouge, SRG, and 1/2" spindle gouge feel about the right weight for me, but my preference would be a bit lighter handle for the 1/2" skew, 3/8" spindle gouge and detail tool. The tools sharpen well on my blue AO wheels but I can't seem to achieve an edge as durable as the original factory edge. The bowl gouge is as sharp and cuts as well for as long as my Thompson, P&N, and Oneway gouges but I don't think I have been able to cut for as long as the original factory edge did. That may be the difference between grinding on a wheel which produces a hollow grind and grinding on a belt which produces a flat grind, which is what the tools had out of the package.

Take care
    Bob

I saw them at Woodcraft last weekend. Seem like very nice tools, but pricey.

They, other than the handles, are clones of the D Way tools. I don't care for that type of handle shape or the metal.

robo hippy

I think they are great tools to have. They recently added a parting tool, which I really like. It cuts cleaner than any of the others that I've used. The family is also a great family. I recently spent a few hours with them at a Woodcraft Demo. The tool steels are certainly on par with all the others, and the handles especially well made. Heavy, the 5/8 gets the roughing duties for me. "Better" than Thompson or the Crown PM? I don't know. I do like the gouge and the shape of the handle.

If it's the first "good" gouge you invest in, you can't go wrong. The 5/8 flute is longer than any of the other gouges I own, and that means that the tool will be around for many many sharpenings. And you don't have to sharpen them that often. Take that into consideration when comparing prices. I think the tool is a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gilbert View Post
    If you guys like the Crown gouges, Lyle Jamieson has Doug Thompson make a 5/8" elliptical shaped bowl gouge for his private line of tools. It is V10 like all Thompson tools. I bought one at SWAT and like it very much.
    Paul I think you meant to say that Doug Thompson makes a parabolic flute gouge for Lyle, not elliptical. Stuart Batty makes the only elliptical bowl gouge where the height is 1/8" more than the width.

I just bought Stuarts 5/8" elliptical and 1/2" U-flute elliptical gouges, but haven't had an opportunity to try either one out yet. I do like Stuarts handles too. Stuarts elliptical fluted bowl gouge also has a parabolic flute.

Robo Hippy, you are right about clones, in fact they are exact copies of D-Way tools. I find it sad that somebody like Dave at D-Way took all the time to develop his tools and then have somebody make exact copies. I'd have a lot more respect for Carter if they would have developed them on their own. The handles are replicas of regular wood handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    They, other than the handles, are clones of the D Way tools. I don't care for that type of handle shape or the metal. robo hippy
    Metal of the handle or the gouge?

I really like Daves tools and his handles.

Personally I wouldn't spend the money on a carter and son. I don't like the handles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephens View Post
    I really like Daves tools and his handles.

Personally I wouldn't spend the money on a carter and son. I don't like the handles.
    +1 on that Idea. I've been using Dave's tools practically since I started turning - why settle for a knock off...