Thread: Rotary Engraved Font Help

Rotary Engraved Font Help

We had a customer come in that wants us to make a few plates for perpetual plaque. I asked her why she didn't just go back to the company that made the plaque (the only other place in town) and she said "I hate them!".
    Anyway it was rotary engraved and we don't do that so I'm really not sure what the font is. Anyone know the font or a similar one that I could engrave?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have worked for QuickTrophy LLC since 2006.
    Trotec Speedy 360, 3 Universal PLS 360's, 1 M-360, and VLS 230
    We also do color work using a Mimaki UJF-3042Fx and Sublimation Equipment

You probably will never match it exactly. Usually not hard to come real close and that's what I tell customers who bring this kind of thing in. Most don't care as long as it is close. And, if you're doing this on a laser, the laser metals don't usually match the brass that the rotary guys use. At least that has been my experience.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

I can't find a match but i think I'd go with Charter and advise the customer that the numbers aren't going to quite match. You'll probably have to squeeze it as well. If you have just a few names and dates I'll be happy to do them in a rotary font and convert them to curves so you can engrave them. That won't solve your problem for next year.

You might consider offering to redo all the plates for a small fee. Once you show her how good the lasered ones look by comparison she might go for it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

First, this is purely an opinion, but if you're a retail engraving/trophy/awards shop, you should have a rotary engraver. Even if it's an inexpensive Roland machine. Why? Doing little brass plates and things of that nature. The industry is laser dominate but it's just plain smart to have an inexpensive rotary machine.

Now that that's out of the way. That looks like a 2L Roman font to me. Matching it exactly? Forget about it. You're going to spend 20+ minutes matching things up so that it still isn't right? "We'll try out best to get it close but we do not match things exactly." The vast majority of the time, customers don't care. That plate is only 2 years old and and already looks in poor shape. People generally don't care about these plaques. If they fall into that minority that really want everything to match up, then tell them you can re-do the whole plaque for them and you'll give them a good price.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I'm pretty sure it is 3 line century font.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Thanks everyone for your help. In the end she just wants us to buy a new plaque and do the whole thing in Times! More money for us I guess.
    In general we don't deal with too many walk in customers like this, we are more of an online company so that is why we have not got in the the rotary business. We generally just sell what we put on the site and requests like this are pretty rare.
    I have worked for QuickTrophy LLC since 2006.
    Trotec Speedy 360, 3 Universal PLS 360's, 1 M-360, and VLS 230
    We also do color work using a Mimaki UJF-3042Fx and Sublimation Equipment

Paying a little extra to redo them all on the laser is almost nothing in regards to cost of time and frustration.

it's either 2-line or 3-line Century, although I've never heard of a 3-line version.

I've attached a zip file of this font in True Type, with it you can laser etch. You'll need to add thickness to it, and maybe adjust some kerning since it's a 'beta' font..

Nhcentur.zip
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev,

Lamro has it in 3 line version.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software