Thread: Flat FastCap Tape Measures

Flat FastCap Tape Measures

Any comments? I need a new one. Other ideas accepted!!

Blog Entries
    Amazon said they would be happy to send you one.

I have one, they advertise as a "panel tape". Not especially useful as such give it's flexible nature, but it makes an excellent tool for measuring radius work that would be difficult otherwise. It earns a spot in my box for that....for flat work not so much. Occasionally I'll use it for laying out a story pole too, a few spring clamps and it sits nicely in place.

have one and love it when I need it. better accuracy for my old eyes when it is on a flat surface for layout. it will not replace a standard tape because it so flexible.

i have a couple - they are easier to use for measuring/marking on flat surfaces but less useful for other stuff (measure an opening and you have to hold both ends vs a standard tape that can span a distance unsupported) - easier to mark for tight tolerances as the tape is already flat to the surface.

The are for "outside" measurements only. The end hook is not designed for "inside" measurements. The Fastcap brand seems to be good quality.

John

I have a FastCap tape, not the flat back, and I love it. The flat back would be nice for laying out on sheet stock but I do not feel I need it.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I'm the opposite. I love all of my fastback tapes and love the flat one for layout and accurate marking but wish they were made of a much higher quality. I break them all of the time just using them. I wish they were 30 bucks instead of 14 and were made to a much higher standard.

Blog Entries
    I have one and it works great for sheet goods layout. I also have their lefty-righty, but it didn't do what I want. I hook on the right side of the panel holding the tape with my left hand so I can mark with my right hand and read at the top of the tape, it still reads upside down. But I do like that 16ths are called out. I guess my wanting to read the top of the tape is the issue. Does everybody else prefer reading the bottom of the tape?
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    I'm the opposite. I love all of my fastback tapes and love the flat one for layout and accurate marking but wish they were made of a much higher quality. I break them all of the time just using them. I wish they were 30 bucks instead of 14 and were made to a much higher standard.
    Wow! You must be really hard on your tapes. I have had my flat fastcap for 8-10 years and it still is like the day it was new. I really disagree about the build quality. I have not found another brand that has better quality.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks guys. Just ordered two. One flat and one std.
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 10-10-2014 at 1:33 PM.

I have a couple of the FastCap tapes including the flat back and love them. I have had them for more than 5 years and never broken one. I treat them reasonably carefully so that they stay accurate. I have found that abusing a tape especially the hook will result in small errors.