Thread: 1/2" Black Material for Lettering (CNC Routing)

1/2" Black Material for Lettering (CNC Routing)

I'm working with another sign shop on a project. Basically they need some letters and a few shapes cut out of 1/2" material for outdoor purposes and then they'll apply their vinyl. I was thinking black PVC but it seems less than recommended, even with the vinyl.

So....options?

Any black PVC available that will do the job? I know I can paint white PVC.
    Black acrylic is an option but the edges are an issue and it's a bit expensive.
    Black Corian is even more expensive than black acrylic but an option.
    Last edited by Ross Moshinsky; 10-09-2014 at 4:57 PM. Reason: Outdoor sign
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Ross,

If its an exterior sign use any color Corian you can find and spray paint the letters black using Fusion paint and they will look great.
    It its an interior sign you can use MDF, Corian or any 1/2" thick material and paint the letters black.

Visit this link and look at the Madison letters at the bottom of the page. I CNC Routed these letters from the ugliest Corian I had from some sink cutouts then painted them gold. They look great after 6 years in the weather and they are superior to the aluminum letters that were installed on adjacent buildings.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-09-2014 at 4:48 PM.

I should have mentioned it was an outdoor sign originally.

I was hoping to find something solid black so I could just route it and be done with it. If I have to paint, the more I think about it, the more I agree that just going with Corian may be the way to go instead of spending money on white PVC sheet. I didn't think I had a piece for one section of the job but I double checked and I actually do. If I had to buy the material, PVC is significantly cheaper and takes paint about the same way. It's not as hard as Corian but it's also not as brittle. If I do go with Corian, I'll most likely spray it with black acrylic latex.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20

Black 1/2" (13mm) PVC will work great, I have used it often, but the edges are more gray than black. They can apply black vinyl to the faces and hand cut around it but I always used a plastic primer then spray with regular latex, One-Shot, or in the case of black, rustoleum oil based (only comes in black and white in quarts or gallons). One shot is the best but expensive.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I went ahead and cut one version out of black PVC and two out of painted Corian. I only used the Corian because I have it. If I didn't, I would have used white PVC and painted it.