A-yep. Well, I dug out a selection of goodies, and laid them out
    Tool Group.jpg
    Doug out the old Plough Plane to make a few grooves
    IMAG0195.jpg
    And chopped a few through mortises
    IMAG0200.jpg
    Then fitted ( cussed) the rails to fit ONE stile
    IMAG0192.jpg
    the Lock Rail being the worse offender. Lots of cussing and fitting. It also has a 45 degree detail. The top and bottom rails were EASY compared to the double tenon stuff
    IMAG0191.jpg
    So, one side is fitted up. I now have a pair of raised panel blanks in the clamps, awaiting the glue to cure. A middle stile needs to be cobbled up. Then maybe it is time to do the other full length stile? Bottom half of this screen door is raised panels, top half will get a screen or a storm window. Just change a frame for either.

Joints will get wedges and pins, but not much in the way of glue. Might be fun....

Blog Entries
    Very cool! Are you going to do a full mortise lockset?

Looks nice.
    How thick is your wood?
    I have been planning to make a light screen door from 3/4" thick home depot cedar, but I am not sure if it will hold up.
    How will you fit a screen?
    I made some old school window screens where I put a screen in the rabbet with half round molding on top, but it was sort of fussy work to get screen to be tight.

Nope, 3/4" thick wood doesn't lend itself to a lock set like that too well. Might just reuse the existing screendoor latch set.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 10-10-2014 at 4:44 PM.

Screen is a "kit" of a metal frame, some corner connectors, and some spline stuff. Stretch the screen fabric into place, add the spline. Will have a molding to cover and hold it in place. Need to be able to remove the screen and install a storm window, too

Thinking a 3/8" deep by 3/4" wide rebate all around. Molding can be screwed in place.

Two coats of primer, and then a top coat of whatever the Boss wants for a colour...

The secomd stile is almost done, with about the same level of cussing going onDoor clamped up.jpg
    This shows where I was laying out for the mortise and tenons. Mainly for the tenons' locations.

IMAG0196.jpg
    This shows the lay out of the lock rail tenons locations
    halfway two.jpg
    half way through one mortise
    mortise chopping.jpg
    and half way through the other one. Flip the board over, and complete the through mortises.
    hand saw.jpg
    small handsaw to do the 45s. This was on one of the ends.
    IMAG0204.jpg
    What the lock rail looks like. Clamped a rail next to it's location, to mark out where the tenons will be. Then a bit of saw work, then a wide chisel to pop off the waste
    IMAG0211.jpg
    And finally cut a groove in the bottom rail. Both it and the lock rail needed a mortise dug out, to house a center stile
    IMAG0212.jpg
    Yeah, why couldn't that knot have been more to the center of the rail? Normal luck down in the Dungeon Shop. Got the center stile all nice and cut up....test fitted......1/4" short at both ends....need a board stretcher! Nah, we have another chunk of 1 x 4 to cobble up, using the "bad" one to make a corrected new one. Still have it, a top rail, and a pair of raised panels to do. Then maybe a coat or three of oil-based primer?