Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chair makers! How is this detailed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    I rotated the back frame to pitch the top back past the legs, and moved the whole frame forward, shortening the seat by almost 2-1/2". Seat depth had been 20-1/4" deep before, and it is now 17-13/16".
    For reference, the front to back seat dimension, to the outsides of the frame, of my Stickley chair is 17-1/8". The vertical rake is 7/16" front to rear. Side to side (measuring at the side rails), it's 17-1/8" at the rear and 18-1/2" at the front.

Also when you mentioned foot pads, Gene, I realized I had put felt pads on these chairs myself and, discounting the 1/8" thickness of the pads, the actual measurement from the floor to the top of the chair frame, in front, is 17-3/4".

I hope this helps and I apologize for the earlier misinformation.

Blog Entries
    Gene,

It's my opinion that the stretchers on the chairs in the picture are on a straight section of the back post. Making that joint on a curved section would be very difficult.

I had a similar concern in the attached photo. I moved the connection immediately below the curve on the back post.

backsplat.jpg

Gene, the chair drawing looks good. Phil Lowe in Massachusetts also does a full size drawing of his chairs and his work is excellent.
    I do mostly windsors and drawing them in sketchup is tough with the curves.
    What is the app that you use to print scaled drawings in Sketchup? I dont have layout and printing full size or scaled drawings is always painful.
    thanks,
    Stevo

It's a free plug-in that is used to export the file for printing, then the free program Ghostscript is used to print. I'll tell more detail later. In midst of move right now. If you search "scale printing Sketchup" you should find Dave Richards' blog entry at the Fine Woodworking site that steps you through it.