Thread: Cadovius shelving?

Cadovius shelving?

I am thinking of building some wall shelving like the Cadovius royal system. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to drill/route the angled holes in the uprights and the shelf brackets?

it isn't shown in the photos so it us worth mentioning that wooden dowels are used to attach the shelf to the angled supports and the supports to the uprights.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Graham Wilson; 10-09-2014 at 10:36 PM.

I'd drill the holes in the uprights using my drill press with the table tilted to the required angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I'd drill the holes in the uprights using my drill press with the table tilted to the required angle.
    Me too, but if the standards are eight feet tall like they look in the photo, the downhill end of the standard might jam into the shop floor while I'm boring the top holes. Might need to set the drill press up on a platform. Or make each standard as two four-foot pieces.

Maybe it'd be better to make a custom guide block that clamps to the standard, and guides the drill bit at the required angle. The standard gets clamped to the work bench, and the guide is moved up and down it to bore all the holes. Maybe the guide block is a chunk of wood with hardened metal bushings. Something like these --http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?cat=1,180&p=40089

That is gonna take some custom drilling jigs, each a three-holer, one for the brackets and one for the standards, done up with stops and clamps, so your work pieces are solidly held when you drill.

Think Kreg jig and go from there. A machine shop can maybe do the work for you using heavy bar stock aluminum.

You need real precision when doing that. What you show in the photos are parts made with dedicated machinery, in a manufacturing setting.

After a bit more thought, I am thinking of a jig with an indexing pin, like a dowel jig but with the holes canted at 45 deg. Without a jig of some sort, I cannot see how I will get consistently spaced holes in both the uprights and the shelf brackets. Drilling at an angle in a drill press might work for a few holes but I still need to get consistent spacing and then I need to get the same spacing on the support brackets.

Lots of page views, but no other comments. I have made a few tests with a quick jig I built from some scraps of hardwood. I need at least 3 holes and they need to be spaced exactly the same. Making more holes in the jig means more chances to screw up the spacing. Deviations in spacing mean that the bracket doesn't sit flush to the vertical pieces. Both the verticals and the shelf brackets are drilled to accept dowels at 45 deg and I was able to use the same jig, clamped to each piece.