Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clamped and cleated doors

I was hoping for some "scant hole" clarification, and screwing about is what I am avoiding by using nails instead. I start to wonder if the amount of the protrusion is not critical and that, as shown, I may be leaving the nails overly long which is taking too much pounding to clinch them and set below the wood's surface.

Yes, that looks good Thomas, you bend them perpendicular to the grain. As I know it the nails are bent in line with the grain.

Ok, The way I did it, I lined up the boards to be fastened, drilled a small pilot hole for the nail ("scant hole") placed my anvil or plate beneath the hole, and pounded the nail through. When teh nail hit the plate, it bent, and hooked over. Not as straight and neat, but very rustic, and very secure. I am not an expert, so again, YMMV.
    Bear in mind, I am not as patient or meticulous as most people.
    Paul

Now you mention it Paul, I have a vague recollection of an American tool especially made to produce that effect, that is, in a single action directing the nail back up into the wood. Could it have been called a cleating or clinching iron? Does it ring any bells to readers out there? I turn to google search in hopes of immediate gratification of my whim, still leaving it open.