Thread: Incra fence/positioner score?

Incra fence/positioner score?

Just the past few weeks I've been thinking about purchasing on of those fancy Incra router fence positioners to get better accuracy on my router table. Now I have a Rockler table/fence mounted on a homemade cabinet. Anyhow I noticed on Craigslist a local fellow had a Jet Shaper and Incra fence & positioner for $600. Sent him an email asking it he would sell the Incra unit separate from the Shaper. He said yes, how much would you offer today. Offered him a $100 cash, he said come get it. I kinda felt like a blind hog finding an acorn. It's 25" positioner & Super fence with all the goodies, some parts still wrapped in plastic. Thought it was a pretty good score. Hope I'm smart enough to put this thing together and use these templates, looks intimidating. Now I need to buy or build a larger router table and cabinet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by julian abram; 10-10-2014 at 3:57 PM.

I have the 25" and while it's no where near as good as I wanted it to be,and there are a bunch of things I would love to change on it, for a hundred dollars you could actually be arrested for stealing if the guy wanted to file charges.

With the Super Fence too, and the DVD and the Template library. Yeah, you suck big time!

You will love the Wonder Fence.

Bought this from a nice young fellar, probably late 20's. Said he was a metal worker and knew nothing about woodworking, inherited the Incra & Jet shaper from a friend that passed away. He seemed very happy just to get the 100 bucks. Something that really frustrates me with the Rockler fence is having to "re-square" it every time it's moved. We don't have to re-square our tablesaw fences every time they are moved, why should we have to re-square router fences? (rhetorical question) Hopefully the Incra positioner will remove that aggravation and offer a few other benefits in accuracy.
    Last edited by julian abram; 10-10-2014 at 6:33 PM.

That would have been a GREAT price for the positioner OR the Wonder Fence alone!!

Yep, you've earned a "you suck" in the kindest of terms, great score!!
    earl

7. just curious. router fences don't have to typically be "square" because the bit is round and it doesn't care where the point of entry is. Not sure where the need for squareness is for a router table fence. I have the Jointech version of the Incra router fence and it works great. Too bad they went outta business.

The only time to square a fence on router would be if your using a coping sled in slide. This is why I made my coping sled to ride against the fence so I didn't have to worry about it being square to anything.

You can use shims where the positioner and the fence meet to get 90 degrees, and it will stay that way. Its described in the manual.

I think I read the request wrong, hes talking about fence being parallel to the bit like a tablesaw. Not necessary in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Bought this from a nice young fellar, probably late 20's. Said he was a metal worker and knew nothing about woodworking, inherited the Incra & Jet shaper from a friend that passed away. He seemed very happy just to get the 100 bucks. Something that really frustrates me with the Rockler fence is having to "re-square" it every time it's moved. We don't have to re-square our tablesaw fences every time they are moved, why should we have to re-square router fences? (rhetorical question) Hopefully the Incra positioner will remove that aggravation and offer a few other benefits in accuracy.
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 10-11-2014 at 1:25 PM.

If you are going to use a coping sled in a miter slot the only role for the fence is to align the stock before clamping. As long as the fence drifts away from the mitre slot as you push the stock through, squareness isn't all that important.

Yes, as Mark stated "the fence parallel to the bit" was what I meant. Thanks for all the kind "you sucks", hopefully I can earn a few more in the future.