Thread: IR compressor Help

IR compressor Help

I am having troublewith my 5hp IR compressor. When it is running it doesn't stop at 160psi and the emergency release vales keeps kicking in.

Also my IR moisture trap keep blowing out the bottom of the trap. tried hitting the top to see if something was stuck. I also tried chaging the psi a few times and that didn't help.

Thanks in advance.

Quinn

Disconnect the power and check the pressure switch electrical connections. You may need a new switch.
    It looks something like this: Pressure Switch
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I agree with Bruce, sounds like the pressure switch. Had the same problem with my 30 year old craftsman (220 volt)recently. There's was a set of contacts points inside the pressure switch that were sticking. Checked with sears and naturally, being that old, they don't stock the switch any longer. Checked with several sources and no replacements available. So I had nothing to lose and was able to file the points and get it to working again. Not sure how long it'll last, but so far, so good.

Gotta start looking for a replacement compressor. How do like your IR?
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

If you have to replace the pressure switch, notice that they come will all sorts of numbers of inlets, so you get the right one. I also just replaced one on a 1973 Craftsman a few weeks ago. I ended up ordering one off of ebay, since I could get it quicker with free shipping than the local parts store could provide one.

Quinn, does this compressor stop running (motor spins down) when it reaches setpoint, or do the intake valves trip open with the compressor motor continuing to run? A 5 horse compressor could be controlled either way. I'm not familiar with the IR compressors give an intelligent answer if it's the latter but someone else may know.

We need to have a better description of the problem before anyone can give you a really good answer. The way you describe the problem makes me think you're not expecting the motor to stop. That certainly can be the case.

An electrical pressure switch would fix the problem if the motor is expected to cycle on and off.

-Tom
    Last edited by Tom Stenzel; 10-11-2014 at 12:05 AM. Reason: clarify, if I can manage to.

I have a permanent mount 60 gal IR tank with a Eaton pump and 2 spare pressure switches they all have 1/4 male pipe threads. My 1.5hp Sears has 1/4 female pipe threads. Almost all the ones I looked up have 1/4 pipe threads some male some female. Your 5hp might have a unload-er valve, a small copper pipe from the switch to the tank. It take the pressure off when the motor starts. So make sure it has one of those [if yours has] and the contacts on the switch will handle your motor. Other than that you can use any pressure switch that will fit, you do not need to use IR, Sears, DeWalt or any overpriced factory switch. All pressure switches will say what the cut-off pressure is so there is no guess work there.

Thanks everybody for your help. It was the pressure switch. cleaning the contacts did nothing.

Qunn